Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mac OS and FTP

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobw0

Programmer
Feb 11, 2002
US
My wife is a teacher and has several Macs and she wants to maintain her classroom web page by herself. She currently must email her pages to a person, who (when the lady gets around to it) updates her page for her. She was told that the reason that she cannot update her web page is that they must purchase an FTP program for each Mac (cost of $30 each). I do not know that much about Macs (do not know the version they are running), and they are running Netscape (don't know the version, but think it is 3.something).
I tried from within my Internet Explorer(v.6 on NT) from the address window FTP://HOST.FTPSITE.COM and was able to transfer the files.
The question is, is this lady feeding her some bull? Does Netscape and/or Mac OS provide an (albiet, maybe not full featured) FTP agent? Thanks for any help and suggestions.

IE for Mac doesn't support FTP as there is no underlying command line utility to use.

Little shareware apps like fetch can be used.

Fetch is a good FTP program for the Mac. I've been using version 3.0.3 for four years - it's shareware. There's a new version available.

I think that if you check the fetch home page you will find that Fetch 4.01 is free to schools.

Navigator has a built in file manager in the composer mode.

Mac OS-X has built in FTP. You just need to go to the Terminal and use the Unix command line.

Thanks for the information, everyone!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back