Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MAC OS 10.1 on an iBook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gman10

Technical User
Jul 20, 2001
US
Hello All-

I work as a network technician for a large school district and as it stands, we are now the proud supporter's of over 100 iBook laptops running OS 10.1. We were briefly trained on how to create "Aliases", create and change Users and Passwords and just be able to tool around the system. My question is broad but basic.... Since we don't need to support this stuff everyday, whats the best way to get to certain places within the OS.. just hit the Apple up on the left and muddle thru it? Or is there a better way? Also, I've heard that OS 10.1 has a true Unix Command Line Interface.. how does one get there?

Thanks!

I run a network of 250 + mac's and I Mac's although we have not yet engaged the OS X yet, I can tell you the way I have accessed the most popular programs for our students.

I created a folder named Student applications on the desktop, then created aliases for all the most used programs and dropeed them in the Student Apps folder. ONce complete, I took the Student applications folder and dropeed it into System Folder > Apple menu Items. To ge tthe folder to the top of the list, I clicked on the folder name, waited for it to highlight and put a spacebefore the S in student. This will make that folder appear at the top of the list. When you then acccess the apple, Student application should be at the top of the list and your most used programs contained within.

Hope this helps.

SG

PS sorry I can not help you with the UNIX ?

try using the Go menu -Go to Folders.
The file path to put in is /Applications/Utilities
This will open the Utilities folder, look for an app. called Terminal. This will give you the familar looking Unix command line.
And if you must" muddle through", I would suggest starting by double clicking on the local harddrive icon and go from there.

In OS X the only place you need to be is in the home or user folder the harddrive is no longer needed. The best way to do this is to put aliase of your applications folder with in your home folder and take that folder and drag it to the dock and now you'll have an icon of your home folder in the dock and all you have to do is click and hold it down and all the folders you'll need and use will be there.

Its called the terminal and you can find it in your applications folder look for another folder called utilities
and in there you'll find the terminal application.

You should also try macworld forums

Forgot one thing....congratulations on the ibooks I know your going to love them, I know I do.

Just one more piece of the pie here....
Get to OS X 10.3 as the bugs in 10.1 completely blow and you'll be aggravated the minute you know something about the OS:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back