Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MAC network drops

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmatthews555

Programmer
Jan 29, 2003
US
I have a MAC G4 running OS 9.2 connected to a 10/100 hub using TCP/IP which is connected to our HP switches to connect to the internet. After running for 10-15 minutes, it drops the connection. I have a Windows 98 PC connected to the same hub that the MAC is connected to and it stays connected. I have replaced the hub and all of the cables, I have reloaded all of the network pieces of the OS and upgraded from 9.1 to 9.2. The only piece I haven't replaced is the nic card, which is my next step. This has been working fine for 1 month before this started happening. Has anyone else experienced this?

WHen you say it drops the connection do you mean the mac looses its' I.P. address or you actualy loose the link. When it does drop do you still see a link light on your switch ? Also do you have a level 3 switch if so you might want to turn off spanning tree on the ports that your mac is plugged into, we have had problems with that are selves.

Thanks for the suggestion, I checked spanning tree is disabled. I actualy loose the link, or at least it seems. The link light on both the hub and the switch stay lit and the apple profile says that the link is active and up, but I cannot connect to the network using IE or netscape or retrieve my pop3 email. After reboot it works again for 10-15 minutes before it looses its connection again

Which HP switch do you have? Do you have other Mac G4s on the same switch that are working properly. It sounds like it may be an LACP issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back