Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MAC MAIL 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sue79

Technical User
Sep 27, 2006
US
When I first start up my mac mail, it will not update my inbox. Near the left side where it says inbox, there is a symbol with a squiggly line. I dont know what that means. To update my inbox and retrieve mail, I have to close it out and reopen it again. Can someone tell me what the problem could be? THANK YOU!!

The symbol means that it cannot connect.
Is your internet connection "always on" or does it go to sleep/disconnect and require a reconnection?

It may be that the connection is dropped until you fire up mail but takes longer to reconnect than Mail is willing to wait.

Have you tried simply waiting a few moments and then clicking 'get mail' rather than quitting and re-opening the application?

--
Tek-Tips Forums is Member Supported. Click Here to donate

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

My internet is always on, it doesn't ever reconnect. I will try and click Get Mail before closing it out and reopening it again. Maybe it will work. Thanks Foamcow!

I am still having problems retrieving email. I deleted my account on Mac Mail and set it up again and it cannot connect to the server. I tried setting up an account with Entourage and I am able to send messages but not receive them. Can someone help me? Is there something I need to turn on in system preferences or something?

Have you checked to make sure that you have properly filled in the information for the POP (incoming) server and SMTP (outgoing) server, as well as the password? One typo in this can stop everything.

Also, in Mail Preferences/Accounts - click on Advanced tab and make sure that Enable this account is checked.

Finally, in Mail go to Mailbox menu and see if Go Online is dark (color of print) or lightened out. If dark, click on go online. You can also Online Status section of the Mailbox menu and use that to go online or offline.

Using OSX 10.3.9 & 10.4.11 on a G4, G5 & Intel Macbook

The information is all correct and Enable this account is checked and the Go Online is light. Maybe comcast changed its POP server?

Set up a second/additional email account and send yourself a message. Does it send? Does it bounce? Under Mail pref's/Account Information tab, what is under Server Settings (button at bottom)? Mine has "Password" for authentication with Port 25; I suspect that's standard. But under "Advanced" tab, Port 110 uses MD-5 Challenge Response. I have no idea what that is, but it works for me.

Verify with Comcast the EXACT POP server names, and have them verify your settings. Since you can send, but not receive, the problem has to be with server settings/names/passwords, etc. Not an issue of being off-line.

Did it ever work properly, or did this suddenly come up in October?

If in Entourage you cna send but not receive you will need to make sure your outgoing mailserver info is correct. I read that you are sure it is, but is the "My mailserver requires Authentification" option checked. Try checking it if it isn't and see what the results are.

Twist

===========================================
Everything will be OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back