Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

m7310 phone, need external buzzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyMoored

Technical User
Sep 27, 2016
US
Alright pretty simple question, we have a warehouse full of Nortel m7310 phone systems, one phone in particular needs to be heard above anythign else and the first solution is to get an external ringer for it
we recently got the Viking pa2a system with the 8ohm loud speaker and we cannot connect it because our systems are digital, not analog

is there a fix so we can use the viking system or is there something else that would work easier and more efficiently

You can use the AUX relay if the amp can handle it. Program it to trigger when the phone rings.

Marv ccna
telemarvlogosmall.gif

Sales, Installation & Service for Norstar, BCM, Samsung & Allworx Serving Ottawa and Eastern Ontario since 1990

im not sure how to go about doing that

Viking pa-2a, 5 switches and 10 ports is the model I have, that should handle it since it's the amp that came with the buzzer
Is the anyways I can get this process broken down for me

Thanks in advance

If you've got a Modular ICS, connect a pair of wires to YL/BN BN/YL on the auxiliary equipment block (the middle 25 pair connector). Connect it to pins 1 and 4 on the PA-2A to trigger ringing. Program the Norstar auxiliary ringer relay to activate when the desired warehouse extension is called. Auxiliary ringer is an extension option in Terminals and Sets.

i'm not sure, it's not a system i am completely familiar with, the components we have mounted are M0X16 (2), M8X24-DS (1), M12X0 (1), and Applications Module

where would i go about connecting into? nothing is listed as the Aux Equipment block, or i wasn't able to locate it properly.
and does programming the ringer relay require any specific program on the OS, or is that directly on a unit

thanks again for the help

Connect it to the 8X24
There is 2 amphenol cables, it connects to the one that also holds your Lines (not sets which is the other amphenol )

"connect a pair of wires to YL/BN BN/YL on the auxiliary equipment block (the middle 25 pair connector)."

Translates to Yellow Brown Pair which is pair/pin 19 on the amphenol.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Alright, after trying to figure that out, all of the externals ports are in use and i don't know how to set-up the pins correctly (sorry relatively new to this)

i have a standard Viking PA2A system, and it's user manual just has a bell slot on the phone that connects into the system.
So the new question is, is there a phone that will work with the norstar system i have, and has an auxiliary bell port built in? right now the only phone sets we have are the M7310, would like to maintain the user ability of those, just with an external bell port. (we have one M7100 unit and it doesn't equal up function wise to use)

all of the externals ports are in use"
What do you mean by that? what ports for what?

Forget about the phone!

This is fairly simple enough to do and here is the guide if needed:

If using a single speaker that attaches to your Viking device:

-Viking unit goes beside phone system
-Cable installed between and connect from Viking to Speaker

-Connect Viking leads 5 and 6 to the 8X24 block on pair/pin 18 (YellowGreen/GreenYellow), this is the same block that has your trunks/dialtone
-Then go into programming under Sets and in Capabilities tell Aux Ringer = Yes

Viking pins 5 & 6 are designed to work with all phone systems.

You have the parts, just connect them or call a tech to do it for you.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Yes sorry and thanks, I did mean pins 3 and 4 and on the newer unit....

Strange BTW that Viking did not change the model # redesigning this product.

Correct version
-Connect Viking leads 3 and 4 to the 8X24 block on pair/pin 18 (YellowGreen/GreenYellow), this is the same block that has your trunks/dialtone
-Then go into programming under Sets and in Capabilities tell Aux Ringer = Yes

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

awesome thanks, won't be able to work on that till later next week

in the mean time if i use the m7100 phone with the bell jack on the bottom of the phone, am i able to connect that to the viking pa2a system? if so what feature code do i need to use on the m7100 to set up the aux bell. (just as a temp fix for internal lines)

thanks again for the help

You can connect to the Bell jack with an Algo Ringer but the cable must not exceed 15'
Algo is geared for Nortel.
For Viking if nobody is sure here then call Viking and ask.

There is no feature code to use....for any scenario using ringer.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

tried calling viking and the only installation help they were able to give me is for a completely different phone system, not the one i'm currently using
i was told the pa2a system should work just fine with the m7310 phone on the 8x24 KSU but there is no installation guides available on how to do so, and i'm not completely familiar with it to find a work around myself
i might call around and see if there are any installers in the area that can help with the situation
i do appreciate the help tho, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back