Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

M3900's vs the M2000's

Status
Not open for further replies.

vendoman

Vendor
Oct 15, 2009
US
What is the benefits of using a M3904 instead of a M2008 or M2616?

I don't know of any special benifits beyond it being a newer design and a better appearence.

Mato' Was'aka

oh, other than no stupid labels to put on the sets, all soft key lcd.

Mato' Was'aka

Labelling is the biggest difference! You also have the call Log features on the 39XX sets.

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

The 3900 series telephones have a caller ID log and a redial list. The 3904 set also has a 100 number personal directory.
All the common features use the soft keys so you can get more line keys on a 3900 series set. On the 3904 you have 12 programmable keys in addition to the soft key features.
I most cases if no more than 4 line keys are needed the 2616 and 2008 sets and be replaced with a 3903 set.
The other benefit of the 3900 series sets is the firmware can be updated from LD 32 in the PBX.

The idea of not typing and replacing key labels and the trouble calls because transfer no longer works (user dropped phones and key capps spilled all over - they put back but in wrong order) is a huge thing to me.

Yeah but you still get the "transfer doesn't work" calls because they don't realize they don't have a transfer key until they are on a call lol

JohnThePhoneGuy

Do you guys like not having to manually label sets? Can you change the actual name of a feature or are you forced to use the systems feature name? For example I print my button lables like:

FLASH or RECALL instead of LINK.

Or VOICE MEMO instead of EXPRESS MESSAGING.

Or VOICE MAIL instead of MESSAGE.

Actually, I prefer to use the Nortel default feature names, because every piece of Nortel documentation the user will ever find about their Nortel phone will refer to the Nortel feature names.

Does not mean I think they picked the best names.

My biggest gripe about 3904 is you can only see six DN lines where a 2616 can effectively show 13 DNs without hitting shift or adding extra hardware

[©] GHTROUT.com [⇔] Resources for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators - You Can Hire Me Too

When rolling out a call center we used to hire someone just to come in and do the keycap labelling. The man hours you save with the 39XX phones almost pay for themselves.

JohnThePhoneGuy

you can change the name on all keys except key 0 in the options programming

Follow up questions:

Can the M3900 series be used on a MICS or CICS environment?

No, the M3900 series only works on Meridian1/CS1000 from Rls 25 and newer. (technically, Rls 24, but 25 was certain)

[©] GHTROUT.com [⇔] Resources for Nortel Meridian/CS1000 System Administrators - You Can Hire Me Too

I have been able to get it to work on a rls 24. I found it cumbersome to program and the DN's I have programmed to it are no where to be seen. Any suggestions. I am use to the M2000 series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back