Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

M-W 2009 Word of the Year 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy... I misread that.... and in my mind I started humming

"Severn Bridges Road"... (Chuckle)

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

Only got the cane at school once, but when I was at school in Scotland I had a few 'beltings':
Three teachers stand out in my memory:

Miss W: Religious Education: A tiny woman with a quick temper, and a total inability to inflict pain with the belt, no matter how hard she swung it. This led to brisk competion between the unruly mob of troublemakers at the back, as they vied to see who could get belted most often during the course of one of her lessons. Cue pantomime wailing, holding of the "damaged" hands under the arms and pleas for "Mercy Miss - I promise I'll no do it again!"

Mr K: Modern Studies: A burly, avuncular man with "The Knack"; a natural ability to swing the belt so that the tips just caught the pads of the fingertips. Excruciatingly painful.

Mr G: Geography: A succesful semi-pro middleweight wrestler who seldom had to resort to using the Tawse. It hung at the side of the blackboard as a menacing reminder to all of how painful a belting could be when administered by an expert. One stroke from Mr G was enough to tame the wildest delinquent pupil. The hardest bully boys wept like babies and held their red-welted hand under their arms for at least half an hour. Re-offending was unheard of.
Don't take my word for it - seek out former pupils of Hunter High in East Kilbride and ask them about this Legend of Corporal Punishment.

Bring it back. Show the little blighters what "Respect" really means!

Chris

So you ride yourselves over the fields,
and you make all your animal deals,
and your wise men don't know how it feels...

Ian Anderson

Spankings on the hands? Ours were all planted squarely and firmly on our butts. If you could sit down after they were done they considered the punishment a failure.

Cool Hand Luke said:
"Dyin'? Boy, He can have this little life any time He wants to. Do Ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, Ol' Timer. Let me know You're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it... I'm just standin' in the rain talkin' to myself."

Mr Jones, latin teacher!

He just threw the blackboard rubber at misbehaving boys - hard, or pushed their desks at them!

Girls had to draw elephants, 20 for a minor misdemeanor... 30, 40, 50 and so on, depending on the level of the infraction - and they had to be decorated artfully and individually.

He generally had our attention.

Rosie
"It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." Richard Feynman

If I had been in Mr. Jones' class I may not have learned much Latin but I would now be a helluvvan elephant artist.

EGO pixi barrus proinde EGO sum

Cool Hand Luke said:
"Dyin'? Boy, He can have this little life any time He wants to. Do Ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, Ol' Timer. Let me know You're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it... I'm just standin' in the rain talkin' to myself."

Rosie - Mr Jones sounds like a true genius! As I guess teachers can't get away with throwing things anymore I think the drawing of elephants should be the standard punishment for all pupils throughout their school career.

"Your rock is eroding wrong." -Dogbert

Rosie - did he require the girls to draw Elephas maximus or Loxodonta africana?

-- Francis
I'd like to change the world, but I can't find the source code.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back