Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LYNC-VS-Cisco UCM 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jft81c

IS-IT--Management
May 13, 2009
US
Hi, I am looking to gather thoughts about going Lync or Cisco UCM

We are an Avaya.....Purple shop, CS1k, Cisco UCM, and Now Lync is an option. Looking to see what other folks have done...building a business case for a CISCO package versus LYNC and from what I have found they really don't integrate all that well.

Hey JFT81c,

Based on your name aka 81c, it sounds like you, (just like me) still bleed Nortel blue! :)

I have a friend who works for a large petroleum company. They are current getting rid of large amount of their huge Cisco investment and going to Lync. He won't tell me if they are keeping Cisco for receptionists, telephone conversation rooms or anywhere a hard phone is needed, but this large company is getting rid of the Cisco desk phones so users will use Lync on their laptop for communication.

Here is a link you may find helpful.

The new Nortel alumni (Nortel expats) system called the E-MetroTel UCx integrates the Nortel phones and Cisco phones with using Lync....the only issue would be the proprietary Avaya telephones.

If you are trying to build a business case into keeping the Cisco telephones, I would definitely push the fact of the hundreds of Cisco telephony features such as call parking, paging, intercom, etc. are what makes the Cisco system so robust. Emphasize that even some basic call processing features aren't as easily accessible on a pure basic Lync system without a bridge into a large PBX system.

Joseph Sus Jr. Nortel Emetrotel Consultant

RBLsutton,

I mean no offence here and I notice you plug the emetrotel quite often , I have some questions...... so I currently work on the Avaya CM (Communication Manager)
and have for some time , when Avaya purchased Nortel and the data and telecoms estate , my last company put me on the CS1K install course , I hope you believe me when I say this is as non -bias and objective I can be , but the CS1K was whilst an enterprise class product , extremely unintuitive to programme horrible to upgrade , as so many things seemed to just go wrong.

But my main issue was with the architecture , like you needed a (correct me if im wrong) MGC card just to bring the gateway to life(no SLS type basic survivability like ACM ) , then various other cards to provide functionality other than dsp , co TDM, (in this I mean in all other solutions I know off the pbx server performs this functionality), again these core component items did not have stability ( direct from an experienced Nortel techs mouth not mine , he reinforced my opinion), this is from 5 years ago so apologies if the terminology is incorrect, but with the mixture of incoherent programming structure multiple programming requirements as in CLI or element manager(element manager could not do all of the CLI and vise versa), then as I say the instability of SOME of the hardware , I really question if all or some of that , what I see as fundamental weakness ... has been applied to this new product as you have stated it was I believe a lot of original Nortel techs and coders that developed this new product.

Im really not trying to pick a fight and would appreciate a objective response , although I now work on Avaya as a main system , I have worked on Panasonic , Samsung , Toshiba ,Siemans, LG & also BT PBX`s and I really do think that the cS1k was the from the engineers point of view the most difficult and troublesome of the lot.

I have read and appreciate the benefits of being able to use old Nortel sets with the emetrotel as handsets are a massive expense on any system , but if the type of floors that the CS range had have been brought forward , that benefit is soon negated as obviously the sets will wilt and die and in my experience customers spending lots of capital on a new system want to see a ROI and nice shiny new features and technology , I just currently don't see how this adds up.

As all new systems regardless of product can integrate with Lync on some level (obviously SIP ready systems) so to use that as a selling point again.. I just think its a bit salesman rather than , true technical advantage.

I await your response and reiterate , this is not me trying to start a system war just a technical explanation that is not sales related.

Monty

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)
ACIS (UC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back