Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LTO Tape drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech187

MIS
Jul 28, 2000
US
I will be buying a tape library here soon and I am concidering getting this unit with LTO drives instead of DLT drives. Does anyone have any experiance or advise about these drives? Thanks ! ! !

Too bleeding edge right now. We're having massive heat problems. There's no way I would even recommend a library solution with less airflow.

I'd look at Mammoth-2 or AIT instead. More bang for the buck.

slj1s@yahoo.com

We currently use and LTO from Qualstar on an RS/6000 model F50, running AIX 4.3.3.

We are seeing around 14MB/sec and have confirmed the ability to backup and restore 170GB of DB2 database data.

Bill.

I use two StorageTek 9714 with two DLT7000 Quantum drives in each and 100 slots in each. I backup around 800GB of data, so I will look for something new, within a year.

I make full backup on fridays and differentiel mon-thurs and that takes a lot of tapes. I currently use ARCserve but we are looking at IBM's TSM and it looks pretty smart. With TSM we will use one full backup and incremental backup every days after. That means a lot about how many tapes you have to use. But there is som many other smart functions with TSM. Try look at
Maybe I will use my old librarys with TSM, but that depends on the amount of tape i have to use (don't know yet). But i am a little hot on these LTO and the LTO roadmap. Check out LTO on
Hope you can use the information!

Ivan
Denmark:-9

LTO is a great technology. It is robust and so far has a great, but short track record. At my company, we incorporate IBM ultrium drives into our libraries due to IBM's reputation, thourough product testing, and ability to ship product on time. LTO is fast, big, and at the beginning of it's life--unlike DLT which is on it's last revision with DLT 8000. (SDLT uses an entirely different tape format than DLT)

I would not recommend anything Mammoth/Exabyte based. I'm not bad mouthing them, just check their financials on their website. With the storage market growing at 20% year over year, they are not performing.

DDS isn't even comperable to DLT, LTO, or AIT.

Thanks--

Jake

We currently use both DLT - Brecee Hill Library and an IBM LTO. LTO has no comparison. DLT -Brecee Hill was good at first. Just giving you my 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back