Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LTO Memory cartridge failures

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerr4brownlow

Technical User
Feb 6, 2003
AU
Hi all,

does anyone experience the following error with their LTO drives by any chance:

----- TapeAlert Events -----

Warning
Device: DELL 1 (PHOL10)
The memory in the tape cartridge has failed, which reduces performance.
Do not use the cartridge for further backup operations.

I have this occurring on 5 Dell 128T libraries and 1 Dell 110 LTO single drive unit.

Dell suggest upgrading the f/w to latest which I have done this week and I will monitor it.

I'm just curious as to how many other people have the same problem and what hardware (brand) they are using (tapes and drives).

I am using BENT v8.6 rev 3878.

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Michael

Yea ive had this problem with our HP LTO drive. I investigated it a bit and the solution was to upgrade the firmware, which youve done. Basically HP said that the drive is showing memory failures where it shouldnt be. It might be an idea to do a test backup onto the tape in question because its probably fine... and those things are damn expensive.

later.

Just an update to my first post and in response to the last, it does appear that the upgrade has worked (I have found in the past that faith in these things can come at a price!). I haven't had a re-occurrence of the error at this stage - fingers crossed and yes they are expensive especially when you're pulling out up to 60 a month just in EOM tapes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back