Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

<Name> usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarwinIT

Programmer
Apr 25, 2008
US
I just started a new job today and inherited some code that has some references like <name> . What does that indicate and why is something like that used.

you'll need to be a lot more specific than that. why not post a code sample so we have a better idea of what your talking about?

Your best bet to figure this out though: talk to other developers on your team. Ask your manager. review any existing documentation. google. etc. but this may not be available, I don't know, you didn't give us much to go on.

Jason Meckley
Programmer
Specialty Bakers, Inc.

Here's one example:

private Dictionary<short, Product> Read(SqlDataReader reader)

And another:

_events = new List<BCIDEvent>();

looks like they're used to typecast collections - in both case List and Dictionary.

This one really throws me for a loop: THis object references itself????

public struct ProductStatus : IComparable<ProductStatus> {
private byte _id;
private char _code;
private string _name;
private byte _priority;

Something within the angle brackets usually represent a generic type (Generic Collection), rather than a primitive data type.

private List<string>
private List<employees>

Just means you have a list of type string or list of type employees, which is an employees class.

Java also supports this.

Thanks GoTerps88
I'll be rooting for Maryland (I assume Terps refers to University of Maryland) from now on (unless they're playing one of my teams!)
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back