Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

<font> tag and PDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lasius

Programmer
Jul 1, 2002
DE
Hi,
I am using the following code to change the color of a link

<a href=&quot;index.htm&quot;><font color=&quot;black&quot;>Test</font></a>

It works really good on any desktop browser, but then I want to view it in a PDA-Browser (e.g. on a Palm) The links only get the standard color. I don't want to use CSS and I allready set the link color in the <body> tag to white so I cant use this.
Any ideas how I can view the link correct?
Thanks

Thomas

hmmm...
try putting the <font> tags outside of the <a> tags...?
Just a guess; sometimes it turns out to be simple, inconsequential things like that :)

I don't know what kind of things a PDA's browser would support.. For example, it's possible to set the link colour using javascript, but would the PDA browser be able to handle it?

Other than that, I don't think there is much you can do.. sounds like a buggy browser to me. -----------------------
&quot;It's lonely at the top, but you eat better.&quot; -- Unknown

Thanks for you fast respond, but then I tried it that way, it didnt work in any browser.

<font color=&quot;red&quot;><a href=&quot;index.html&quot;>test</a></font>

This PDA a Compaq by the way seems to ignore the <font> tag I dont know why. I can only change the link color by setting the color in the <body> tag.
Any others idea, without any scripting ?

Thomas

The bigger issue here is what PDA you are using. I am nbot up to date on what the palm handles, but I know that the HP Jornada 720+ series handles styles as long as you are not trying to define custom styles (in other words you can only override current tags or use inline style). The HP 500 series (and most recent Compaqs) do not support CSS as far as I can tell.
As you have a Compaq I would assume this means no styles. One thing I have noticed, however, is that things that shouldn't work in HTML sometimes do. Try setting text color in the <a href=&quot;&quot;> tag as if you were setting it in the body tag. Othe than that there aren't any options I can think of.
-Tarwn ----------------------
| if(u=getc(this)) |
| putc('\a'); |
----------------------

You say it completely ignores font tags?? Hmm... Maybe this means it follows the most recent html specs? *hopes*
In more recent html versions, the font tag is actually not legal markup, thus if the PDA is conforming to the specifications for one of these versions it would ignore it completely.
If this is the case, it should recognize CSS, and you should take advantage of that! -----------------------
&quot;It's lonely at the top, but you eat better.&quot; -- Unknown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back