Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

<b>Selection Problem</b>

Status
Not open for further replies.

dechnoz

IS-IT--Management
Apr 18, 2001
US
I am having difficulty with several dwg's in my office.We are using R14 with Win98 and Win NT 4.0
Occasionally when I use common editing commands (trim, extend, even text edit) I will get a message that says "2,450 (or some other huge number) selected, are you sure you want to do this?" This happens even with the most simple edits. For example trimming a single line or extending a single line. If I answer yes it will hang for 2-3 minutes and then the same message pops up again. If I answer no, then the command terminates. after some experimentation I have found that the work around is to freeze the hatch layers. This is ok in a pinch but I would really like to find a more permanent souution. I have reset all my system variables to a "known good state" and still no luck. The problem started to show up a couple months ago, and seems to be spreading.
It makes no difference which workstation we work on, and it seems to have a mind of its own. That is I can not necessarily duplicate the problem at will.Thanks for any help you can give me on this....
Dale Echnoz

I presume there are some hatches in the dwg if you have hatching layers, just as a test try and explode the hatches in the dwg and see if that makes a difference.
And also try just locking the hatch layers, select one line and see if you get something like "2501 found, 2500 on locked layer". Just for a test, and tell me the results. Jay~

"I'll moider da bum."
- Heavyweight boxer Tony Galento, when asked what he thought of William Shakespeare.

~KeyTech

Well, I tried your suggestions. Exploding the hatches did not seem to make any difference. I locked the hatch layer and tried to perform an erase on it--just the hatch pattern. The message was "44 found, 1 was on a locked layer". If I continue with the erase command then all of the objects (43 of them) that make up the boundary of the hatch are erased, and the locked hatch layer remains. It's as if the hatch pattern has attached itself to the boundary. So I'm not really sure what this means..wierd huh?
Hope this helps..thanks, Jay.

Dale

Try exploding the hatches a second time, as in explode straight
after you do the first one, that might seperate it from
the boundry...even try 3 times, sometimes explode works in stages.
Do you know the 'CHANGE' command??? just typing it in the
command line will do...
It is an alternative to trim and extend and offset and move etc,
all in the one command...pretty easy to use once you figure
out how it works!!!
I just checked and see you are using r14, but Im almost sure
it is in there as I am on 2000 and used to use r14. Sorry if
it isint!!!! Jay~

"I'll moider da bum."
- Heavyweight boxer Tony Galento, when asked what he thought of William Shakespeare.

~KeyTech

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back