Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lspv output out of order?

Status
Not open for further replies.

misnoma

Technical User
Apr 15, 2008
GB
After moving some drives around on a AIX 5.3 system, I've ended up with something a bit strange. The drives are connected as so:

scsi0 - hdisk0
- hdisk1
- hdisk2
- hdisk3

scsi2 - hdisk4
- hdisk5
- hdisk6
- hdisk7

And lscfg agrees with this. However, if I run a lspv, I get the following output:

hdisk0 0008b8e4a67d3767
hdisk1 0008b8e4efec3110
hdisk3 0008b8e4efd4bf18
hdisk4 0008b8e4f01b6be4
hdisk5 0008b8e442a02a8a
hdisk6 0008b8e4f01c30d3
hdisk2 0008b8e439621d5d
hdisk7 0008b8e413cceb13

For some reason hdisk2 is listed near the bottom.

Now I'm not all that bothered since I know the connections are correct etc.. but for the sake of tidyness it would be nice if they showed up in order (that and it means less technical people aren't confused). Does anyone know how to fix this?

As below:

root@server:/# odmget CuDv |grep hdisk
name = "hdisk0"
name = "hdisk1"
name = "hdisk3"
name = "hdisk4"
name = "hdisk5"
name = "hdisk6"
name = "hdisk2"
name = "hdisk7"

yeah, that's it :) You need to swap those around. Delete them all and reload from file. Risky business, I'd leave it alone.

It is not advisable to edit the ODM!

The best thing to do is to delete all the disks and then cfgmgr to get them in order!

rmdev -dRl scsi0
rmdev -dRl scsi2
cfgmgr

they should be listed in the right sequence after that!

Regards,
Khalid

Can be a bit difficult esp. with rootvg. I don't know if I'd say it's not adviseable to edit the ODM, I just wouldn't do it for something as little as that

Thanks all. This box isn't production as yet, so I might go down the remove/re-add in order path this afternoon and see how it goes.

It's just the order they are listed. It doesn't really matter where the disks are physically.

HTH,

p5wizard

misnoma,

unixfreak pointed something! that if these disks belong to rootvg then you won't be able to do so!

in that case i would go first with removing the disks from rootvg (leaving only hdisk0 if possible) then cfgmgr!

But as p5wizard said, they can be left like that with no problem! its just order!

Regards,
Khalid

Thanks everybody.

I just unmirrored rootvg and reduced it to simply hdisk0, exported the other volume groups and rmdev'ed the hdisk[1-7] nodes.
After that I removed all the disks, and readded them one at a time, with cfgmgr -l scsi0 between each to make sure they came back in order, remirrored rootvg and all was good :)

I know it's just a cosmetic change, but I'm not going to be the person maintaining this box, so it's nice to be tidy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back