Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LSASS Terminated Unexpectedly

Status
Not open for further replies.

originalxavier

Programmer
Mar 5, 2003
US
I am running a machine with Windows 2000 Server and am receiving this error:

"LSASS.EXE has terminated unexpectedly error code - 1073741819 Computer will reboot in 1:00."

From this point it seems like I enter an infinite loop. All the documentation I could find at the Microsoft site indicates that this is a problem resolved by downloading Service Pack 3 but also states that this is an error message that I should see on 2000 Domain Controller which my server is not. After downloading SP3 I am able to boot up occasionally and when I do, LSASS.EXE takes up 99% of the processor, when I restart, I get the same previous error message.

I am able to boot up in safe mode with no problems. LSASS does not take up 99% of CPU and I never see the error message.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Xavier

----------------------------------------
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far the Universe is winning."
Rich Cook

Nevermind, I have corrected the problem.

REGEDIT
-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
-SOFTWARE
-POLICY
-MICROSOFT
-WINDOWS
-IPSEC

I went into the registry editor, then went through the tree listed above, and deleted all of the contents in IPSEC since there seemed to be an excessive amount of info here. I will keep everyone posted if I crash the computer....

Xavier

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far the Universe is winning."
Rich Cook

Please let me know if this worked cause I am experiencing the same problem.
thanks

This did NOT work. I am still having the same issue (Listen to Microsoft and don't fudge the registry). I am still having this problem if anyone has any suggestions.

Seamus19, have you tried downloading the latest service pack for 2000? Microsloth claims that downloading the latest Service Pack will correct the problem, it just didn't for me.

Xavier

Rich Cook

Hi Xavier
yes i downloaded the latest SP and this did not work for me either

LSASS is known that is consuming a lot of memory. When is not able to have it in RAM it will use virtual one. Using virtual one can lead to a high CPU utilization.
First thing that I would do I wuld track the counters associated with LSASS (in Performance mmc). Try to see how the system reach that point.
How busy is that server? What applications are running?

Lsass is responsible with:
Local Security Authority
Net Logon service
Security Accounts Manager service
LSA Server service
Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
Kerberos v5 authentication protocol
NTLM authentication protocol

So,... maybe you can take them one by one and see if everything is ok with that service(s).

Gia Betiu
gia@almondeyes.net
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, MCSE Win2K
new: (just started)

This was due to a virus that was on the computer. It was pickedup at a later time and is now corrected.

Xavier

Rich Cook

Hi Xavier,

What Virus was it and what virus scanner did you use to fix it?.

Thanks in advance.

DudeUK

I also would like to know what virus this is. I am getting this problem on a Windows XP desktop.

It looks like blaster but it is *lsass* teminating instead of *RPC*.

The only solution I found on the net recommended installing SP3.

Thanks!
Bob

sorry - just to add to my earlier post: obviously the Service Pack 3 (SP3) is for Windows 2000 and I can't use that solution on an XP.

But you knew that :)

Thanks,
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back