Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lsass.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffpoulsen

Technical User
Dec 9, 2002
US
I have been having a problem with a sever. The problem is the machine keeps shutting down. I have checked the error message upon the reboot and it seems to be tied to the lsass.exe. I have scanned for the sasser worm but several scans have found no virus. I am suspicious because it reports the exe file in a \temp folder. I have the information but not with me tonight. Has anyone had a similar problem? If it's not a virus where should I look for a solution.

This may not apply to you but..

I had some XP laptops complaining of lsass errors 'The system has recovered from a serious error'

I also scanned for the sasser virus with no joy. Once I updated to SP2, the problem went away.

I've got the same problem with a SBS2003. I'm going to do a windows update and see how it goes. All links point to the sasser worm but like you, i've scanned and not found anything.

Paul

I have not solved the problem yet, however I have come across a few items that I tweaked that have helped to limit the reboots to once every day or two. This machine came from Dell with only a 12 gig partition for C: It was almost full so I increased the size of the C: partition. Also I increased the page files. This has helped. Now I have been studing the event logs and have found I need to check the Domain Controller setup. I had set it up a long time ago but it seems pehaps someone has made changes to the system. ?? I also have found out something very very strange, I checked MS for updates and found there are NO updates available. Also there was NO update history. I'm sure I updated when I worked on the system some time ago. I usually do. But I intend to call Microsoft today to find out if this is true. The OS Windows 2003 Server Standard Edition version is 5.2.379 SP 0.0 I have never heard of NO updates for any OS.

Jeff, Sounds very strange, thankfully my system "seems" like there are less possible issues. I've just installed quite a few patches but i need to do more at a more convenient time. I'll post back with any developments.

Cheers
Paul

Jeff, why don't you try installing the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer on the affected machine. From there you can run the MBSACLI utility which will check your machine for missing patches.

Hi,

I have ran into the same problem as you Jeff. Although I have a little different scenario. I have Exchange 2003 with its SP1 on a Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition, without the SP1 installed (the server is not a DC). The system has worked fine for months until now.

As you described the server shuts down at irregular intervals and in the eventviewer there are messages about "lsass.exe terminated unexpectadley".

I will install SP1 for Windows Server 2003 tonight and see what happens.

Regards
Johan

My sbs2003 has been fine since my post. Installed all the relevant security patches and it has been fine since. touch wood!

Paul,

I did install the " Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer" MBSC and installed the updates. I had to lower my Internet Explore Security settings and went to the Micosoft update page and installed SP1. And other updates. It seemed to have worked. No reboots now. I am sorry I forgot to update this thread until now but I have been out of town. I hope this Thread helps anyone with the same problem. Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back