Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lsass.exe error on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2003
US
i have new dell system i am installing. after i download the latest windows XP professional updates (the system has SP 2 preinstalled), and restart i get an error about lsass.exe and the computer freezes up.
I can get to last know good configuration and everything will be fine afterwards. as long as i dont try to download the latest updates the system seems ok.

any suggestions?

david

Try manually downloading and installing the required updates just one at a time and see if you can narrow it down as to which update is causing the problem.

What is the exact error message you are getting?

Removing adware & spyware
faq608-4650

i have the error written down at work and will have to get back to you on the exact error.

i doubt it is spy/adware as this is a new system and the updates are the first thing i tried to download once i connected it to the internet.

and a second system that we purchased at the same time and set up on the same day, was perfectly fine after all the updates

david

Probably it isn't, but infection cannot be ruled out as it only takes the fact that you are online at all to result in an infection. Before doing updates, confirm firewall protection (check it's working correctly via the Shields Up page of ), next update your virus scanner definitions, then do the updates.

Also lsass or even Isass (capital I or small L) are often targeted for infection.

Virus attacks on new PC
thread779-854688

This doesn't mean I consider you are infected, just that it is one of several things to consider as a process of elimination and error detecting.

the error message basically says there was a problem with lsass.exe. and give me the following as part of the error: 0xc0000005

unfortunately i cannot get to the persons system today as they are in the middle of processing payroll. cant take the chance and distrupt my pay :p

david

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back