Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LS-120 drive not accessable in XP Pro 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

marvinhl

Technical User
Jan 17, 2003
US
I have a Matshita LS-120 drive in a removable tray that fits a matching cage on my computer. I normally use this cage for my backup HD drive that is in a tray of its own.
This is the 3rd internal LS-120 drive that I have tried to use with no success. My first was an external USB unit that was OK until it died. The recent ones are IDE, jumpered as either Cable Select or Slave. The drive is shown to be working in Device Manager and is recognized in Hardware Profiles and the BIOS, but does not show in My Computer; I never get a "New hardware found" message. The BIOS sees it as a LS-120 IDE drive, but does not have a setting to see it as a 120 MB floppy.
I have diligently searched for a new driver, but I keep getting referred back to the "Native" driver that comes with XP.
My digital camera uses LS-120 disks that I can upload to my computer through it's USB cable, but I prefer to use the LS-120 drive. I have also removed my original floppy drive and tried the LS-120 by itself; it still does not work.
During my driver searches I found that other users have the same problem with LS-120's on XP, but no one seems to have found a fix for it. I personally am burnt out and can't think of anything else to try myself. Any solution, suggestion or help will be most welcome.

If you put a disk in the drive, then right click on "My Computer" and select Manage.

Click on Disk Management.

Do you see the Drive? If so what information does it give in here for it.

Greg Palmer

----------------------------------------
Any feed back is appreciated.

Hi gpalmer,
Only the C drive and the CD Rom show.

Hi again,
Late last night I repeated all the steps that I had made initially. The drive still does not work. I'm certain that the drive itself is OK because it works on a Win 98 machine.
I'm ready to concede that the drive is not compatible with XP, except for the nagging fact that it shows up in Device Manager, Belarc Advisor and in Storage Devices as Drive B.
Is there anything else to try, or should I simply forget about it?
Thanks,
Marvin

Can you access the drive in XP DoS? (Start > Run > CMD > OK > b:)

You could try getting a IDE to USB converter, here in the UK they cost about £20.

Finally you could try the following.

1) Remove all drivers and references to this device from Device Manager.

2) If you have any references to your old USB device remove them too.

3) Switch off your machine.

4) Disconnect the Device.

5) Restart your machine.

6) Make sure your device is fully removed from Windows.

7) Switch off your Machine.

8) Reconnect Drive with Slave jumpers set.

9) Hopefully windows will detect and install correct drivers and assign a Drive letter.

If none of that works you could always try using the Dos drivers. I would recommend setting a system restore point before installing. However I have had some joy using Dos drivers with XP.

Greg Palmer

Hi Greg,
I did Start>Run>CMD>OK>b: and it came up with b:\. I don't know if that is significant or not.
Then I did steps 1-9. This time re-boot came up with "New Hardware Found", but still no new drive is shown in My Computer. However, it still shows up in Device Manager as working properly.
With respect to an IDE to USB converter, I already looked into that option. Some suppliers said theirs would work with any and all devices, while another supplier said that theirs definitely would not work with an LS-120 drive...I decided to sit tight until all other possibilities were explored. Ergo, I'm here!
Marvin

The fact that you can access the B:\ from the command prompt shows that the device is working correctly, it is just that XP is not showing it in my computer.

Take a look at Thread779-682406 i know it relates to CD Drives but might be relevant.

Also do you have Tweak UI installed on your machine? The reason for asking is that this software has a function where you can hide drive letters from My Computer. If you have you should take a look at the "My Computer" then "Drives" settings.

Greg Palmer

SUCCESS!!
Greg, the Tweak UI worked. All I had to do was click on the B drive and the drive just opened! My pictures came tumbling out. Problem is solved, struggle is over. Thanks a million for all your patience, help and expertise.
Marvin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back