Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LPT2 not in Add Printer Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

SArmyTech

MIS
Sep 26, 2001
US
I installed a PCI Parallel Port on an XP Pro machine that already had another PCI Parallel Port in addition to the on board parallel port. Yes, these user needs 3 parallel ports and cannot use a switchbox due to issues with her accounting software via a Citrix server. The problem I'm having is the new card appears in the device mgr as LPT2, but not in the Add Printer Wizard. I see LPT1, COM1 and COM2, and FILE, in addition to the DOT4_00* ports used for the accounting software. Where is LPT2 or LPT3? Again, the ports are recognized in device mgr, but that's it. Creating a local port, which I called LPT2, did not help. One more thing, I was able to print DIR >LPT2 from the command prompt, but no test page or notepad text print goes to the printer. HELP.

Hi,

I seem to recall I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. From memory LTP2 didn't appear on installing the printer but I could change the printer to it as it appeared in 'Ports' section of the printers properties page.

Try adding the port:

Start, Printers and Faxes, File, Server properties, Ports, Add ports....

Hi,
Has there been a resolution to this as I have exactly the same problem.

I have a pci double parallel port installed on the pc, which gives three ports in total. Now when I look in the device manager under ports, the ports LPT2 and LPT3 are clearly there and functioning correctly, but they do not appear in the add printer wizard, norr do they appear in the port selection of an existing printer on the system.

I can add ports, but is it as simple as adding a local port and just calling it LPT2 and LPT3?

How does it know where to look?

any help would be very appreciated

Thanks

Ian

umm not exactly my problem but I might try and modify that batch file to see if I can add LPT2 and LPT3

It says that LPT2 and LPT3 is available in windows XP by default - well it certainly isnt on my system!

Thanks

Ian

ok - I modified the code from the batch file in the first link to allow me to add any port numbers, and I successfully re established LPT2 and LPT3.

Thanks for your help. It turns out that the second port in the pci double parallel port is faulty - I think, there is another on the way now.

Thanks

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back