Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LPT1 printer problems, USB ok

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdeaver

MIS
Feb 8, 2002
US
I've tried three different printers on lpt1 and none of them work correctly. Those same printers work fine with other computers. Using a USB printer and everything prints fine. Computer vendor, Dell, says the port is fine since there is some signal going across it and to reload the operating system. Is that my only option?

Have you added any hardware that might conflict with the printer port? A sound card perhaps?

I would check the BIOS settings for the parallel port. Make sure it is enabled, and check the settings. You might try "EPP" setting, seems to be most reliable, or if that fails try "standard".

If BIOS is ok, then run a simple test of the parallel port. Boot with a DOS disk.
At A: prompt type
DIR >LPT1:

You should get a directory listing on printer.
This works best with a dot matrix printer. On a laser you may need to press a button on the printer to force the page to print.

If this works you are pretty confident the hardware is OK and you have a software issue.

If the DOS test fails, I would open the case and inspect the cable from the printer port to the mother board. Unplug and reseat it. Verify it is installed with proper orientation.

If the DOS test works, I would look at the LPT port in Device Manager for a clue.
You should see only 1 lpt port and it shouldn't be flagged as not working.
Either way, You can just delete the port and let PNP reinstall it. If you see any other devices flagged as not working or not found, these would be worthy further investigation.

Another thought. Have you installed any printers, FAX software, or scanners that might have installed software that "captures" the printer port?

If all fails you may really have a defective printer port. You never said how old the system is or if it ever worked.

BTW, reinstalling the OS sounds pretty lame for this kind of problem. I very seldom see parallel port problems. But it is a sure fire way to get rid of software conflicts!

The system is only 9 months old and its a laptop running windows 2000 pro. The configuration has worked in the past. In addition to the printer, there was also a scanner and an external tape drive attached to the port. The scanner quit working, and due to the age of the scanner, we just replaced it. New scanner uses USB. Then found out the printer wasn't working either. Oringinal printer doesn't work at all, HP desk jets print, but they print one page with a line of up arrows across the top, and then puts some funny characters in the middle of the page with the selected printer output.

Have uninstalled the port and the new scanner and every printer that was in the printers folder. Still the same result.

Tried the DOS tests, and get the same garbage of arrows and funny characters.

Yes, reloading the OS sounds very lame to me as well.

Ah, a notebook...

Have you uninstalled all software for all devices that were using the port? ie the scanner and tape drive?

I'm also assuming that when you say printers work fine elsewhere that means you have tested the printer cable elsewhere as well.

Have you verified the BIOS settings for the port?

You said old scanner quit working. Was printer port still working with other devices then? Just trying to make sure port didn't crap out and you thought it was the scanner.

Yes, we've tried it with everything uninstalled, still doesn't work right. Tried multiple cables as well.

Only tried one other setting on the BIOS. Don't know if the printer quit working when the scanner stopped working. I suspect the old scanner would probably work on another machine, but its so slow compared to the newest scanners that we haven't even tried.

Are you sure you tried the DOS test by booting to DOS? If you did and you still get a row of arrows across the page then the port/system bus is shot. No amount of OS reinstall is going to fix it! There's always a better way...

Afraid I'm tending to agree with tviman.
Having all those devices on the LPT port may have hosed it.
May be time for a USB printer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back