Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LPT1 and printers

Status
Not open for further replies.

thaddeus63

Technical User
May 7, 2002
CA
I am trying to install a printer for a friend...simple? I thought so, always has been... but this one will not recognize the printer port..I have done everything except reinstall windows...I noticed the computer had a few viruses...could a virus do that?

I tried installing my printer, which works fine on my computer, and same thing...the software installs, but when time comes to do a test page, same thing "printer not ready" or "computer cannot communicate with printer"

any ideas to what has happened? someone suggested a boot sector virus...

Unlikely a virus. Without knowing what OS diagnostic steps are difficult.
You might try rebooting into DOS and trouble shoot from there.
You might also look into the CMOS and see what settings you have for the port. For troubleshooting you probably shoud use standard setup. And if not a ATX, or other built in port you might have a problem with a cable between the M/B and the D connector. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Try setting the printer port in the BIOS to either:
ECP, EPP, or normal ... usually one of these will work. If your not used to going into the BIOS, have someone in the know do it for you.

Good Luck!

What printer are you trying to install ? Has the machine had a printer on it before if was it a Lexmark inkjet I had a problem where I could not get any other printers to work because the lexmark software some how captured the port so nothing else could print. There was somthing in either system.ini.or win.ini which I remmed out and it sorted the problem.
Also try printing from Dos (F8 at startup then safe mode command promt to see if it is actually talking to the printer and see if it prints (dir>prn or Dir>lpt1)

you can print from dos by just hitting PRNTSCRN... js error; 67 on line; 36 of signature.class

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back