Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lpstat shows "waiting for xerox6100 to come up" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilrotherham

Programmer
Jun 6, 2002
GB
I have now come back to my printer problem, and this time the error is as above. I have found loads of documents through Google and the like, all divided into two camps. The first concerns postings that exactly describe my problem but with no solution, and the second concerns those which tell me that my printer server is down, or the daemon has died. Neither of which is true!
I have a tru64 machine from which I'm trying to print to a sunos 5.5.1 printer server with a xerox6100 attached. Other tru64 machines on the network are printing to this printer server (and so was mine until recently), but whatever I try, all I get in return is this "waiting" message. It's really beginning to try my patience, so, before I call in the consultants, can anybody help me?

The culprit was a missing entry in the /etc/hosts file on the print server. The two machines I'm printing from have been grouped together into a sort of virtual cluster for "ease of administration" and it was this IP entry that was missing from the file. All I have to do now is to clear up how exactly we managed to print from these machines before. Hmmmm.
Anyway, here are the the things I did:
1) Change the ownership of the /var/spool files from root to daemon on the client (bsd) machine.
2) Added the cluster's name and IP address to /etc/hosts on the host (system V) machine.
3) Restarted the bsd daemon. Used /sbin/init.d/lpd stop, renamed the lpd.lock file in /usr/spool/lpd, then used /sbin/init.d/lpd start.
4) Finally I started the bsd printer with lpc restart xerox6100
5) Restarted the system V scheduler using /usr/lib/lp/startlp (which stops the existing daemon first) and did /usr/ucb/lpc restart xerox6100 there as well.

In future I'm going to keep my head down when I hear the word "printer", but if this is ever of any use to anyone else, it'll have been worth the grief.

Hi,

A few days ago I get this error too because of a FS full on the print server. The only thing I done to resove it (after FS space was back) was to stop all printers on the client system, stop/restart the lpd daemon then restart all printers "lpc start all".

No problems with IP as we're using DNS.

Brgds,
Jean-Luc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back