Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lppsource

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamon

Technical User
Jul 18, 2002
DE
Hi,

i like to know, is it necessary to have all update files of a fileset in the lppsource of a CWS or do i need only the base fileset + the newest fileset? I ask this because the filesystem is quite full.

Thanks for any help...

It depends. If you place the filesets in the lpp_source directory you should recreate your SPOT. The SPOT is the installation environment for your nodes. If you want to install your patches or PTFs separately then you can place them elsewhere and do an AIX installp.

Ok, but the main question is, can i delete the update filesets (i.e. bos.rte.xxx.4.3.3.25.U, ...4.3.3.50.U) between the basefileset (i.e. bos.rte.xxx.4.3.3.0.I) and the newest fileset (i.e. bos.rte.xxx.4.3.3.75.U) in the lppsource directory? Or do I need them for further Installations?

I would hesitate to delete the filesets because the spot is responsible for creating the network boot images in /tftpboot. When a node is installing it transfers the network boot image matching its platform, processor arch., and network boot adapter.

A better approach is to place your maint in different directories, such as, /spdata/sys1/install/aix433/maint10 instead of placing them in lppsource so you don't have to recreate the spot and your lppsource would be created off the install CDs, plus any patch that is required for a new install, say a fix for a bos.mp that you absolutely need.

Later releases of maintenance levels are cumulative, so a .50 should contain all patches for .49 and below, so you probably could remove the earlier levels and be fine.

There could be a problem though if you needed to restore a previously installed node and it is looking for a particular fileset.

The setup_server logs in /tmp will tell you which fileset it is erroring on when you run setup_server if you do remove the filesets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back