Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LPI Level 1 Exam 101 Passed ..!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spradeep1979

Technical User
Sep 11, 2003
US
Hi,
I cleared the LPIC Level 1 Exam 101 today. Out of 65 questions I asked, I got 58 correct and 7 incorrect. I got a score of 660, I don't know how the scale the score. It was mentioned as on a scale of 200-890. But even if I missed only 7 questions, how cum my score is 660??

I didn't read any books. I worked extensively on command line and the tutorials from IBM site. The key is to try out all the commands available and to know what each command is for.

Now looking at 102 exam. Any tips and ideas? Any resources? How is the exam? Is it worth getting LPI certified? How tough is RHCT/RHCE compared to LPI Level2 or Level1 ?

Thanks and good luck to all...

pradeep

The 102 exam is much harder than the 101 so I would pick up a book and at least get a review of whats on it. I took the exams a year ago, before they refreshed them. I read O'Reilly's LPI in a Nutshell book, which was pretty good. The LPI 102 Exam Cram book sucks, don't waste your money or time.

"Is it worth getting LPI certified?"
--> uhh, shouldn't you have asked this question before you took the 101 exam? Since you already took the 101 exam, I see no reason why you shouldn't finish up.

"How tough is RHCT/RHCE compared to LPI Level2 or Level1 ?"
--> You can't really compare them as the RHCE is a performace based lab, and the LPI's are written exams. The LPIC-2 exams questions are probably tougher than the RHCE's, but answering multiple guess questions and actually sitting in front of a broken machine that doesn't boot are two completely different things. Its one thing to answer a question in theory, and another to actually go and fix it hands-on.

ChrisP
RHCE, LPIC-1, CCNA, CNE, MCSE, +10 others

"Is it worth getting LPI certified?" - I have put this question just out of curiosity and know other's views. I decided to finish up both Level-1 and Level-2. That is what I am currently aiming at.

" The 102 exam is much harder than the 101 " - I too felt so. It also seem to cover a lot compared to 101, which covered basic administration and commands stuff like that.

Yes the book "LPI in a Nutshell" is pretty good. BUt it has not been updated since a long time. What other resources have you used towards 102 preparation? Any pratice exams anywhere?

Thanks...
pradeep

The LPI in a Nutshell book was all I used. That book was written for the older LPI exams, before the latest refresh. I don't know of anything current. I also looked through the LPI exam prep guide topic by topic and studied each individually. Thats what I usually do for most exams I take.

ChrisP

Hello all,

I am new to this forum. I just wanted to know where all we can apply for jobs having equipped with LPI level-1 (101 and 102) certification. I am in dilemma whether to attempt LPI level-1 exam. I don't have any realtime exposure in linux environment.
I'll be graduating in a couple of years. Can anyone of you just tell me whether it is good to have a linux LPI level1 certification or CCIE certification.

Thanks
srinivas.

LPI is still pretty new, but there are jobs that are asking for it, such as this one...

If you don't have any experienc with Linux, why do you want to take this? You need experience before you start getting certified in anything.

"Can anyone of you just tell me whether it is good to have a linux LPI level1 certification or CCIE certification."

--> LPIC-1 is an entry level Linux certification while the CCIE is an expert level Cisco certification. They are completely different in every way. The CCIE is extremely difficult, probably the hardest certification out there for anything. You need years of experience before even thinking of attempting the CCIE.

ChrisP

Thanks ChrisP,

For your information on certifications(LPI level1 and CCIE).

Is it impossible that a person with no experience at all can clear certifications like LPI leve1 or CCIE. Which certifications (CISCO or LINUX) do you think will be valuable for novice like me.

I heard that with entry-level certification like LPI level-1(101 and 102), one can independently apply for big organizations. That these market leaders recognise the certification.
I am an ardent believer in linux. Thats why I want to have a linux certification in my resume. Can you just give me where to start in this journey as I decided to go for LPI level-1 (101 and 102).

Thanks
srinivas

As a Manager of a very large IT department I would see the cert on your resume but have my staff hammer you on a tech out interview on any cert you have. I would guarentee that you would never make it through a tech out interview without any real-world experience.

You will never be able to pass a CCIE exam with no experience. You would not be able to just take this test without some of the other Cisco certs on your record. If I remember correctly, the CCIE exam is 3 days long and cost $5000 + to take.

Study for the LPI level one exam by downloading a copy of linux from the net. You can also do a search on google for LPI certs and there will be a few sites that will even give you sample exams.

The reason why some certs do not hold up anymore is because of posts like this. I do not mean to seem like a jerk-off but it makes no sense for anyone to try and cert on something if you have no idea on what it is or how to work with it in the real business world.

srinivas7, I retract my previous statement about getting certified before you have any experience. You *should* take the LPIC-1 exam because it will look good on your resume and possibly get you an interview, just make sure that you really do know your stuff before you take it. Don't be a paper LPIC or else comtec17's people will tear you apart in a job interview.

Forget about the CCIE for at least 5 years. If you want to get into Cisco, take the entry-level CCNA.

I'm going to repeat this again: Don't be a paper cert in anything. You will be exposed in a job interview. Its good to have certifications because they will get you an interview, but make sure that you really do know your stuff before you take anything.

Since your just learning Linux, forget certs for the time being and just learn the OS, and then take something after you know what you are doing. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to jump on the Linux bandwagon...

ChrisP

ChrisP,

It was really informative that I've learned about the level of CCIE exam.

I was using Linux since a couple of years and well acquainted with the commands. It is really encouraging for me to read your mail to appear for LPI level-1(101 and 102).

I was wondering how to register for the exam. Is it possible that I take both 101 and 102 at the same time and successfully complete. Is it true that RHCE/RHCT are recongnized by only Redhat and few other companies.

Thank you once again for the link you gave me about the book. I've read that only few of them have completed RHCE.
What inspired you to go for RHCE.

Thanks
srinivas

Did you check the website for registration info? Any questions you have are on the website. Always read all the docs and FAQ's on a website before taking any certification...take it from someone who has passed about 30 exams in two years, I always read everything there is to know about an exam before I take it.

The RHCE is the most well known Linux certification out there. Its recognized by everybody in the community, not just Red Hat people. Do a search for RHCE on a job search engine and see what comes up.

"What inspired you to go for RHCE"
---> $$$

ChrisP

ChrisP,

Thank you for your reply. I was preparing LPI linux certification in a nutshell by Jeffry Dean, O'reilly.

Its good one but older version 2001. May be he didn't publish second edition.

And when I take practice tests, I am getting low score.
Is there any other means that I could prepare well and score good in practice tests.

Thanks
srinivas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back