Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lpd doesn't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

neilrotherham

Programmer
Jun 6, 2002
GB
I killed it, and now it won't start again! I know I should have used the "/usr/sbinlpd stop" script, but I didn't know about it. Now, when attempting to start the thing using the same script, I get the message saying everything's hunky-dory, but there is no lpd to be found on the list of processes. Consequently, I can't print anything. I reconstructed /etc/printcap and thought I'd stop and start the print daemon to get the changes recognised.
Is there any reason for the daemon silently failing? Is there anywhere it would have logged this? I would prefer not to have to re-boot the machine (it's on a cluster and way too scary...)?
Thanks in advance...

neilrotherham,

Have you tried running "/usr/sbinlpd stop" in the current state, and then try to start it again?

Just a thought...

Biker
Systems/Network Administrator
LiveFire Labs - Hands-On Technical e-Learning

I tried that (good thinking!) but it didn't make any difference. I have now managed to locate the lpr log file and it says this:

locking failed: Operation would block

To me, this message is about as much use as a chocolate teapot!
Does anyone have any idea what it might mean?

neilrotherham,

Just trying to brainstorm...

Can the daemon be started with a different debug level? Checking the man page for the daemon may let you know this.

I found these with Google:

(SEARCH FOR "lpd")

Hope this helps!

Biker
Systems/Network Administrator
LiveFire Labs - Hands-On Technical e-Learning

Thanks be to you, mr biker! It seems that renaming the lpd.lock file did the trick (courtesy of second URL you gave me). Now I'm waiting for lpc restart to come back and tell me that all is well. If it does, I'll be in the same trouble I was in when I killed the thing in the first place - which is a sight more comfortable than having no lpd daemon at all!
I daresay we'll speak again, but until then, I appreciate your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back