Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lp -d not working 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeater

IS-IT--Management
Mar 13, 2001
US
We had a crash, and lpshut, lpsched, etc. weren't working, links were missing. I have recreated the links for the following:
lpsched
lpuser
lpfilter
pprx
prx

I am unable to print now due to the following error:

# lp -d f0 /etc/hosts

UX:lp: ERROR: The following options can't be handled:

TO FIX: The printer(s) that otherwise qualify

for printing your request can't handle

one or more of these options. Try

another printer, or change the options.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

earlier versions were lp -df0 (no space). Don't know if that is your problem. Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I was hoping that was the problem, but no luck, same error:

# lp -df0 /etc/hosts

UX:lp: ERROR: The following options can't be handled:

TO FIX: The printer(s) that otherwise qualify

for printing your request can't handle

one or more of these options. Try

another printer, or change the options

May be time to remove lp from the machine then reinstall. Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thank you VERY MUCH. Re-installing lp fixed the problem.

Skeater --

I am pretty new to unix/linux admin my question is how do you go about reloading a command i.e. lp?

Thank you

It can vary, but many services, like lp have a startup/shutdown script in /etc/init.d. So to restart it you would type:

[tt]/etc/init.d/lp stop
/etc/init.d/lp start[/tt] Annihilannic.

To re-install the lp (printer subsystem) you must go the the software manager. Remove the PRINTER SUBSYSTEM located in
SCO OpenServer Enterprise System
SCO OpenServer Enterprise System UNIX (ver 5.0.6j)
System Administration (ver 5.0.6Ga)
Printer Subsystem (ver 5.0.6Ga)

NOTE: make sure that you only flag the Printer Subsystem.

Load your SCO CD in the CD-ROM and install the Printer Subsystem. You can find the Printer Subsystem the same way mentioned above.

NOTE: What so nice about reloading the printer subsystem is that you do not have to relink the kernel and it also preserver your existing printers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back