Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

low volume on T1's

Status
Not open for further replies.

telman22

Technical User
Nov 24, 2002
US
I recently had an Inter-Tel AXXESS sytem installed to replace a Definity, since then I'm experiencing low volume on my two-way trunks which are T1's and I think it might have something to do with the transmit gain & receive gain in the Inter-tel programming. can someone give me a quick primer on how these should be set? any help would be appreciated.

I suggest you check the ARTD (this is the command in an NEC system). There are settings for the PAD for each of your routes and you may have them set with PAD on them, which is bringing down the volume level. I have also found that sometimes they have a setting which is "7" which means there is no PAD, but I have changed this setting to "0" and experienced an increase in volume on that route (specifically having done this on a T1) which makes it really zero.

I am not familiar with the system you have, but you should have similar command - check that as a start. The TELCO can also address this matter - but I would check the settings you have for your routes first.

Steph4pbx has the right idea I think.
I know that in the Nortel world you can pad down a T1 signal.
I too am not familiar with your system but a lot of units come with a -3db as default.

The Inter-Tel AXXESS actualy has a program for the low volume on the T1, it's called (Hybrid Balance)

Thanks, I'll take a look when I get into the office tomorrow

telprog, hybrid balance is only available on LS&GS cards not on a T1/E1 card. The Inter-Tel came with Smartmonitor program which lets me monitor the T1's in use to see such things as slips, errors and so on. It also shows the Line Build Out setting and RX signal level. The vendor told me the LBO should match as close as possible to the RX signal level, ie. if the RX signal level is -1.35db then the LBO should be set to this as close as possible which would be 0.Does anybody know if this is the rule of thumb? I also noticed in all the trunk programing the transmit and receive gains were both set to -4, I put them back to default which is 0. The problem is that I cannot issolate which one is giving me the problem so I want to make sure the settings are correct on all of them. I haven't received any complaints since then but it has only been a day and they might just me tired of reporting the problem. Thanks

Line Build Out is generally best set for -7.5dB, unless there is a local T1 termination unit (ie: Smartjack), in which case 0dB is likely best. Note that the new T1/E1 card does not support the AUTO LBO - Auto is really OdB. You can also adjust individual channels for Trans and Receive gain. We change a channel in the middle. Then we direct access the channel when testing until levels are good, and then change all the channels to match. Good luck.

Sorry for the miss information, still learning Inter-Tel and they don't make it easy.

Sorry for the miss information, still learning Inter-Tel and they don't make it easy. Your posts are most helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back