Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Low thru put from hard disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

alokkumar1

Technical User
Mar 6, 2002
US
Hi,

I have a Pentium II.

I was getting 1mb/s read/write on a fresh installed windows 98.

After removing an reinstalling IDE controlled from same version, I am now getting 8-10 mb/sec read/write thruput.

In safe mode the thruput is 125mb/sec read,25mb/sec write.

Any idea why this is happening, and the way to fix this.

All performance is degraded in Safe Mode because many drivers are not loaded. I am not sure what the problem is. You seem to have good perf after re-installing IDE drivers.

I am getting better performance in safe mode.

Sounds like you have an ata100 drive thats running in pio mode.
Check your device drivers and see if there is a conflict, also enable both drives in the controller, check off dma in the drives and controller section if any, check off box in system devices>direct memory access and enter 64 in the reserved box. You might want to look for updated controller drivers for your computer as well especially for SIS and VIA chipsets. By the way I'm assuming it was better performance prior to new install of windows. You can also get the hard drive utilities from the mfg website and see if its running at the optimal speed, you might have to enable it. I had this problem with a western digital drive that would go back to default of udma 33 almost every time I clean installed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back