Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Low resources after re-install Win98se - slowdown problems 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Imawag

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
AU
Greetings from Sydney, Australia.

Thanks for the wonderful advice already recieved since finding this forum two weeks ago.

In fact that's when my problems started. Completing housekeeping by uninstalling unused programs. One of them, ffdshow (multimedia codec), removed necessary system files resulting in a re-install of Win98se.

After many trials and tribulations and re-installing many programs finally system is now reasonably stable.

Prior to the re-install, system resources at startup was 80% - now down to 68%. Does this make any difference - yes -
now my 3d fish screensaver crawls (a symptom). And for the first time I've burned three "coasters" using Nero.

Everything is now sluggish in comparison to previous install. I've reviewed and excluded all but necessary items at startup through msconfig and the registry.

Use both Spybot (excellent) and Lavasofts Adaware. Run several Registry cleaners - and backup my registry daily.

The only change made on re-install was to update from Norton Internet Security 2002 (subscription was close to expiry) to Norton Internet Security 2003. I know Norton can be a system resource hog but 12% from one already installed to another?

My system is Pentium3 550
256mb ram
3 hd
Liteon CDRom

All drivers are up-to-date.

Any advice as to how can improve responsiveness would be most appreciated.

TIA

G'day

Have a look at your startup folder and see what's running all the time. Go to START-RUN-type in MSCONFIG-hit ENTER-STARTUP tab. You can uncheck all except SystemTray, APPLY-REBOOT.

You are now running with minimum statups (just check by pressing CTR+ALT+DEL together). You can now add the unchecked items one at a time if you want them, I would suggest that you include NAV programmes. Each one will rob you of RESOURCES.
Regards
Phil

Thanks Phil,

G'day to you,

Here is my startup list:

ScanRegistry
SystemTray
NPROTECT - Norton
TaskMonitor
InternodeUsage - monitors ADSL usuage 8gig plan
LoadPowerProfile
a-winpoet-service - WinPoet ADSL connection manager
ccApp - Norton
ccRegVfy - Norton
KBD MediaCenter - Multimedia keyboard
POINTER - Microsoft Intellimouse
NPROTECT - Norton
ccEvtMgr - Norton
Nisum - Norton
ccPxySvc -Norton
ScriptBlocking - Norton

That's it.

Anything else we can work on to improve this situation?

best

G'day again!

Well I'd take out the following, and I know I've said this before and come under fire from others for saying it, but I believe that Norton is over complcated and have a look at how many people on this site, have a problem and have Norton......Coincidence?

TaskMonitor
InternodeUsage - monitors ADSL usuage 8gig plan
LoadPowerProfile
KBD MediaCenter - Multimedia keyboard
POINTER - Microsoft Intellimouse

Some of the above may just put themselves back into startup.

Perhaps when your subscription expires, you might want to download AVG for free.
Regards
Phil

Thanks again Phil,

Well tried that -improved to 71% - but still need those programs to connect to the net etc. So doesn't really change much.

I agree with you about Norton but I do like NIS features such as ad blocking and port protection.

Guess I'll just keep trying to find a way.

best

John

Computer Speed and Performance May Decrease
The information in this article applies to:
Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
Microsoft Windows 98
Microsoft Windows 95

-------------------------------------------------------------------

You may have a corruted Applog file or even a Favorites file .

Windows Explorer , Delete all the files ( except the read only file ) in Windows > Applog . Taskmon will rebuild the Applog file .

To view Applog , do this .
Windows Explorer > View > Folder Options > View , click on Show all files . Click OK .

-----------------------------------------------------------

1CLEANUP..........Clears your computer of Unneeded Files: These may possess any attributes left to be specified by the user. In addition, all zero length files and folders are included automatically. Recent Documents: Recently accessed files which are displayed in Start Menu->Documents and stored in Windows' Recent folder. Favorites and Bookmarks: All favorites and bookmarks created and stored over time by the user. IE Cache: This includes cookies, history and Temporary Internet Files created by the Internet Explorer. Dead Shortcuts: Shortcuts to files that have been moved to another location or deleted from the computer after the shortcut was created.....(free).....GO THERE!

G'day John from a "Prisoner Of Her Majesty"

Just about anything that's on a PC uses resources and not just Disk Space (very different things). There is some merit in using disk cleaners on a regular and frequent basis. The one I use is EasyCleaner from ToniArts (Free)

I've used it for perhaps two years and find it excellent. I haven't tried the latest Beta version.

The ones suggested by Jmatt may also be very good, but I haven't tried them, and therefore cannot give an opinion. Regards
Phil

Hi jmatt,

Wow lot's of useful links and information. Thanks very much - will check them out and advise tomorrow. Had a look at my applog and seemed ok except for one odd entry relating to ACDSee (viewer) which I deleted and taskmon didn't rebuild but the program still works fine.

G'day Phil,

What's this "Prisoner of Her Majesty"? I wouldn't be here if His Majesty hadn't sent my ancestors on a cruise to these fair shores.

I use EasyCleaner, JVPower Tools, Microsoft's RegCleaner, RegVac and Norton Utilites and find each program picks up different things that the others have missed or overlooked.

Thanks again for all you help.

best

John

G'day John & Phil from John in Western Australia .

John , have you run Scandisk ?

Checked in Control Panel > System to see if there are any cliches ?

Hello all,

Imawag, check out this app which may shed some light on what is causing your system's resource degradation:

Someone referenced this on another thread here but I cannot recall which one. Seems like a decent app however I have not used it as of yet.

I hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back