Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

low on resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

rry2k

Programmer
Jun 28, 2001
US
I just bought a compaq with ME on the op sys 128 mg of ram and 40gb hd. I don't have alot of items on my task bar but I keep running low on resources and locking up.

Thanks for the help..Russ

Try deleting temps, run search for *.tmp, and delete all that appear.

Thanks. I do that on a regular basis.

You may want to increase your virtual memory.

Entire hard drive cleanup instructions:

Also, post a list of everything in your task list on a fresh reboot. We'll help you dump some of the junk you don't need. Off the top of my head:

loadwc
load power profile
realtray
any printer stuff
any Zip drive stuff
any AOL/other ISP stuff

I found a website recently that listed all that, and now I can't find the dern thing!! techsupportgirl@home.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

Thanks Dreamboat, you are always soooo helpful. If it ain't broken, play with it till it breaks.

Well, usually when this happens to me, it's the virus scan that's the culprit. If you have the background scanning enabled, then it'll slow things up and eat up your resources considerably. Unless I'm connected to the web (actively downloading/browsing) or working with files that haven't been scanned yet I disable the virus scanner. Mine is McAfee but I've heard Norton has it's problems too. ----------------------------------------
If you are reading this, then you have read too far... :p

lightwarrior@hotmail.com

Thanks for all the help. Here is my list of items that are checked when I boot. Sorry about the long delay. I'm one of the unfortunates who had att@home.

moneyagent
aim
msworks update protection
scan registry
task monitor
pc health
system tray
load power profile
hidserv
real tray
creatcd
scheduling agent
statemgr
cal reminder short cut

Thanks..Russ

Okay, Russ. Here's my opinion on them:

moneyagent: If you're using MS Money, keep it checked. If not, uncheck it.

aim: Uncheck it unless you use it ALL the time. You can start it whenever you want with a shortcut.

msworks update protection: Probably don't need it, and I'd uncheck it. How often can MS Works have an update??!!

scan registry: I don't do this, but others may disagree.

task monitor: If you don't leave your PC on alot or if there's no tasks scheduled to run in the task monitor, uncheck it.

pc health: Highly doubt that you need it. If you take care of the system yourself (keep the hard drive clean) you don't need this junkola running.

system tray: Always leave this.

load power profile: This is the thing that shuts your PC down when you tell it, or puts it into sleep mode. I turn my PC off when I want to. You can uncheck it if you want.

hidserv: No clue, and sounds fishy. I'd uncheck it.

real tray: Realplayer thingee. You don't need it running all the time. Realplayer, etc., works fine without it.

creatcd: Unless you're constantly burning CDs, uncheck it.

scheduling agent: Uncheck it unless you're using it. If you dont' know what it is, uncheck it.

statemgr: Don't know, but again, sounds like something that's monitoring your system and you don't need it.

cal reminder short cut: Do you use this calendar shortcut? If not, uncheck it.

Your PC will boot a lot faster...
dreamboat@nni.com
Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word

Thanks dreamboat I appreciate the help..Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back