Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Low Level library for graphic Routines 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnus01

Programmer
Jul 2, 2000
US
Hi, I need a Low level library with good graphic routines. I need it to be optimised for speed. I am not any good with assembly so I can't write one myself... Please help me The faster the better. Thanks!

Go to <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> and download the Future Library. It's a complete graphics/SVGA library in ASM (VERY fast).<br><br>Hope I helped :D <p> Alex<br><a href=mailto:pizzapz@libero.it>pizzapz@libero.it</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*** Q(uick)BASIC RULEZ! :D***

PZ, I think I've seen Magnus01's question here before. Maybe it's time to throw together a FAQ that lists a few good QB sites?<br> <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= plain black box</a><br>

Workin on it<br><br>:D <p> Alex<br><a href=mailto:pizzapz@libero.it>pizzapz@libero.it</a><br><a href= > </a><br>*** Q(uick)BASIC RULEZ! :D***

I don't use libraies in my graphics.<br>Can somebody tell me about library<br>inclusion and use.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;And why its a good thing to do? <p>Lupine<br><a href=mailto:RobertCorrina@patownsend.com>RobertCorrina@patownsend.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Answering Lupine's question:<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Libraries are<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;- a group of subroutines that do something,<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;like handle super VGA graphics or database handling.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;How to use QuickBASIC libraries<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;- if the name of it is xxxxxx.QLB, then <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;you can load it using QB /Lxxxxxx<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;- for compiling programs that use the library, <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;you need a xxxxxx.LIB file that corresponds<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;to the xxxxxx.QLB file.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;- If you are only given the .QLB file, you can't<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;convert it to a .LIB file.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;- If you have only the .LIB file, you can make<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;the .QLB file by using the menu option <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;for &quot;Make library&quot;<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;- If you have asm sources only, then you have <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;to assemble them and link them to get the .LIB file.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;- in the QB code, you usually need to include<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;a .BI (QuickBASIC include) file, that has <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;all the declarations for the external library<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;routines. (e.g. Declare GouraudTri(x%,y%,z%,c%))<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;- You can call the library routines like normal <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;QB SUBs (e.g. CALL GouraudTri(myx%,myy%,myz%) or <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;simply GouraudTri myx%,myy%,myz%)<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Libraries are good because<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1) you don't have to reinvent the wheel <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;(or a line-drawing routine, or modem routine, <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;or btree routine, etc.)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2) they save you the time of writing equivalent <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;functionality, speed and correctness.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Libraries are bad because<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1) if you start using them as a newbie, you may <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;become dependent on them, and start asking <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Is there a library that can solve all my problems?<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;If there were, programmers would be hungry and <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;homeless.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2) If there's a bug in the library, you can't <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;fix them yourself (unless you have the source)<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3) It may take a while to learn the API <br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;(all the SUBs in the library).<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;4) commercial libraries are expensive $$$<br>

Another good one, Toshi! It would make a great QB FAQ.<br><br>Just a suggestion... if you sign on to Tek-Tips as a member we can start giving you Tipmaster votes. <p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= plain black box</a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back