Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Low disk space alert.... NOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsears

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2004
GB
I keep getting low disk space alerts from my server despite the fact when I fiew the space left there is smoething like 30 Gig left. Anyone else had / getting this ?

Does the disk contain multiple partitions?

Could be that a certain partition is nearing full.....

HTH

ChrisCj21
MCSE, A+, N+

The server has 3 x 36Gig Drives with RAID esentially creating 1 x 36Gig Drive (C:) I can only go by looking at C: properties saying that there is 30Gig free. Is there somewhere else I should be looking or should I just turn off the disk space alert off. Unfortunately I inherited this system and am unsure exactly how this was set up in the first instance.

Can u take a look in disk management for me "Right click my computer, manage"....

Is it h/w or software raid?

Thanks

ChrisCj21
MCSE, A+, N+

I am not at the server right now but I am pretty sure it is hardware RAID. IBM xSeries 225 model server if that makes any difference.

yeah - sounds like H/W - when u can take a look at disk management, if Raid is Hardware Windows will see it as one drive - If raid 5 it sounds like the 30+GB of data you think is free is actually Parity.....

Only a stab in dark as u don't have server in front of u

HTH

ChrisCj21
MCSE, A+, N+

a wild gues, but certainly something to check out if you are out of options.
Maybe a rootkit is installed on your OS which masks the free disk space.
sysinternals released a new tool to check if you have a rootkit installed. Also Microsoft resleased a document how to check it...
Good luck...

--------------------------------------
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs,
and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots.
So far, the Universe is winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back