Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loud piercing sound on Digital phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skullet

IS-IT--Management
Aug 12, 2015
US
Good morning,

When picking up the handset of a digital phone to dial out (phone models 3903, or 3904) users are experiencing a loud piercing noise that sounds like someone is pressing down a number on the telephone keypad. This is resolved simply by hanging up and trying again, but it's becoming quite annoying and I cannot find any errors within the PBX indicating a bug. I'm kind of lost here as to what it could be, I've tried replacing the phones, but that has not resolved the issue. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

VERSION 3321
RELEASE 3
ISSUE 00 + DepList x210300_cpp

The people that's reporting this issue, are they all on the same line card, same shelf? Replace line card and/or reseat/replace controller.
Do you hear the sound as soon as you go off-hook or after you start dialing? Is the issue intermittent or can be duplicated 100% of the time?

Thanks for the reply,

It's occurring on different shelves across our property, it has also began to occur on my office line as well. Seems to be intermittent and only occurs as soon as you go off-hook, before dialing any numbers on the pad, and is quickly resolved by placing the phone back on the hook and trying the call again. I'm not seeing any errors in the PBX at the time of occurrence. Must be a bug, but it's driving me nuts.

The TDS is what gives your digital sets dial tone when they come off hook.

I'm going to run around and change out the cards at the locations and see how that works out. Weird that it's all occurring at once on different Loops, but I don't think there has been much maintenance done in the past. Thanks again, guys.

Could be a bad Conf/TDS card on one of the network Shelves.

It's a phone system, NOT a clock!

If it's happening all over the switch then a bad TDS is your most likely culprit. Once it happens leave the call up and do a trace on the TN and see what TDS circuit you hit.

Okay, I traced the TN as soon as this is occurring. Not sure how to locate which TDS from this info. Or maybe I'm doing the wrong Trac cmd?

>LD 80

.TRAC 12 0 2 3

TN 012 0 02 03
KEY 0 SCR MARP ACTIVE TN 012 0 02 03
ORIG 012 0 02 03 0 SCR MARP 0 5887 3903
TERM NONE
TDTN 16 SLOT 13 PTY SLOT 13
DIAL DN NONE
MAIN_PM READY
TALKSLOT NONE
EES_DATA:
NONE
QUEU DIAL
CALL ID 2000 9857

KEY 1 SCR IDLE
KEY 2 SCR IDLE
KEY 3 SCR IDLE
KEY 4 NUL IDLE
KEY 5 NUL IDLE
KEY 6 NUL IDLE
KEY 7 NUL IDLE
KEY 8 NUL IDLE
KEY 9 NUL IDLE
KEY 10 NUL IDLE
KEY 11 NUL IDLE
KEY 12 NUL IDLE
KEY 13 NUL IDLE
KEY 14 NUL IDLE
KEY 15 NUL IDLE
KEY 16 MWK IDLE
KEY 17 TRN IDLE
KEY 18 AO6 IDLE
KEY 19 CFW IDLE
KEY 20 RGA IDLE
KEY 21 PRK IDLE
KEY 22 RNP IDLE
KEY 23 NUL IDLE
KEY 24 PRS IDLE
KEY 25 CHG IDLE
KEY 26 CPN IDLE
KEY 27 CLT IDLE
KEY 28 RLT IDLE
KEY 29 NUL IDLE
KEY 30 NUL IDLE
KEY 31 NUL IDLE

TDTN = Tone Digit Switch loop and timeslot

So the TDS for loop 16 may be your problem, This is going to be in network group 0 shelf 1 slot 0. Probably a conf/tds card. I would replace that card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back