Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Loud Bell in remote factory via fibre???????

Status
Not open for further replies.

james1982

Technical User
Nov 14, 2003
GB
I have the following problem:-
3300 mxe MCD4 in building A.
Fibre link to building B which is a factory- numerous IP phones here.

I need a loud ringer / bell in building B's factory that simultaneously rings when an IP phone in an office rings.
Normally I would use a standard analogue bell via an ASU - as this is a remote factory over a fibre link this isint possible.

Apart from installing a long structured cabling run is there any other options??

anyone ever used any ip to analogue converters???????

I've used the grandstream sip ATA's for loud bells and these seem to work pretty good.

Have to agree with AKskier, I've used Grandstream ATA's (normally for T38 faxes), but they work very well with the Mitel (9.0), with very little tweaking.

thanks for the replies - im a little confused though.

We are looking at the HT–286 Analog Telephone Adaptor.

The analogue bell will connect into the ATA - the ATA will connect to the LAN.
How will we program this on the 3300. what device type will the bell be configured as?
is it then possible to add this in a group with an ip extn?

appreciate any guidance before i purchase one of these.

How they are connected depends on the device.

Some IP/Analog converters need to be connected via a trunk port on the 3300, Some can be connected directly to the analog port.

In both cases, create an analog station and make it a member of a personal ring group with the IP phone DN as prime.

In the scenario where the IP converter is connected to a trunk you will need to loop the analog port back back into the system via 1 Analog trunk port and then route it back out thru another.

Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

The Grandstream box is connected as a SIP extension; in Ops Manager, we've configured it as a 'Generic SIP Phone'.

You will need a SIP device licence in order to do this; you should be able to purchase these from your reseller.

I see no reason why you couldn't program it in a personal ring group, but I'm not running MCD4 yet, so can't test this (sorry).

Alan

The linksys SPA2102-NA may also work. As the other devices, it needs to be programmed up as a SIP phone on the 3300 requiring a SIP user license.

I have used both PAP2t And SPa800 SPA2102 on mitels configured as sip extensions - all work well

linksys PAP2T's are good. have excately what you're after, working for a client of ours.

PAP2T's connect using a SIP user license (license types soon to be combined)

if the phone rings in the factory, the loud bell rings too..works like a charm

thanks for all the responses

i have ordered one of the linksys PAP2T's units.
Will test in house next week before attending site.

thanks again - will let you know how i get on!

Hi Mitelpassion, you say 'license types soon to be combined', can you expand on that at all?

Do you mean SIP User/SIP trunk?

or that SIP user licenses will be interchangeable with 'standard' device/user licenses?

Thanks, Neil.

no sorry,

licenses for IP desktop and IP SIP will soon just be a phone license. no distinction between the types I'm told.

not sure about SIP trunk licenses.

or you can break the ip phone open and go across the speaker leads(this will void the warranty)and istall an amplified horn. when the phone rings,the horn rings.its a cheap sollution. works great.

Apologies for bringing this up again!!

I have purchased the linksys SPA2102-NA.

If im been completely honest I have had very little to do with SIP. I have created generic sip device.
Added a SIP peer profile.
I have set an IP on the Linksys.

I can understand / or get to work:-

1) how do i get the Linksys to register as a SIP device
2) I have created the generic SIP device but how does this link to the SIP peer profile so when I dial the extn it rings the phone.

Proably asking alot here but can anyone provide some form of configuration guide???????

Appreciate any help with this!!!!!

you don't have to set up a peer profile in this case if memory serves me correct. setting a generic sip device is enough but I stand corrected. I'll have to look at the configs I've done before

your linksys device has fields where you tell it the IP of the controller, the extenions and password to register to.

have you checked these?

thanks for the response Mitelpassion - I will check the settings on the Linksys unit again.
Previously nothing jumped as to where to configure the extension and password - ill take another look.

re the password are you talking about the password set in multiline ip set config form??

As stated apologies for my lack of knowledge with this, ill take another look shortly - appreciate your help!

3 of us have been looking at this all afternoon! I really cant find the "IP of the controller, the extenions and password to register to."

If you could advise where to program these on the Linksys I would appreciate it

for those intereseted I have just found a doc on MOL:-

Configure MCD 4.0 for the Mitel 3300
ICP for use with the Linksys SPA2102
Phone Adapter
SIP CoE 08-5159-00010

Fingers crossed this will assist in getting the unit working!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back