Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lotus Notes V5

Status
Not open for further replies.

antoniomarugan

Technical User
Jan 3, 2002
MX
Hi everybody,
I have installed Lotus Notes V5 in my XPe farm.
I have followed the Citrix recomendations to install it, but I don't get it works properly in a multiuser way. I have a home directory for each user (a network drive, w).
The user accesses to the application using a shortcut. This is configurated regarding to
Target=MetaFrame shared drive (o:\apps\Notes\notes.exe)
Start in=home directory (w:\Notes\Data)

The issue is due to Lotus Notes starts using the NOTES.INI file located in o:\apps\Notes folder and the same for all users, then when an user change something in his profile is changed for the rest. In order to work properly, Lotus Notes should start using the Notes.ini file located in w:\Notes\data (diferent for each user). How could I do this?

I tested to install the whole installation in a network and independent drive for each user, but it didn't work. The application doesn't start.

Any idea?
Thanks in advance

During the install of Lotus Notes, you had the option to specify the Data directory. During the data path option, you must specify the path w drive. If you did not do this, you should re-install Lotus and make do that necessary step.

PS. I have had to install Lotus Notes at three different sites, and it's never pretty!!! I pulled the instructions from one of the sites and pasted it below

Good luck!

=============================================
Special Instructions on installing Lotus Notes
1. Be sure to complete the steps for SUBST W: below first
2. Log in as Administrator
3. Be sure that the SUBST mapped W: to \\Citrix01\Lotususers\Administrator
4. Execute the CHANGE USER /INSTALL command
5. Run setup
6. Change the Program Path to: T:\Lotus\Notes
7. Change the Data Path to: W:\Data
8. Reboot when prompted to do so
9. Each User should have a copy of the files copied to T:\Lotus\Notes\Administrator. They do not need the subdirectories
10. Remove the Notes.ini file from T:\Lotus\Notes and copy it to each user’s Data Directory in on :W
11. You might need to add the following path: W:\Data

SUBST W:

The following command was setup in USRLOGON.CMD
SUBST W: \\Citrix01\Lotususers\%Username%
MD W:\Data
This command will give each user a unique W: drive for their individual settings for Lotus Notes.
· The share \\Citrix01\Lotususers is located in U:\Lotus Users
· Each User should have a directory that corresponds to there username within T:\Lotus Users
· Each User should have a \Data directory within their username directory – T:\Lotus Users\%Username%\Data
Dave Namou, MCSE CCEA

Dave, thank you very much. I had install several times following different instructions but always I had problems. Now, I have followed your installation note I have gotten it.

Thanks a lot

You should change your Lotus Notes icon property from "C:\Lotus\Notes\notes.exe" "C:\Lotus\Notes\notes.exe =W:\Lotus\Notes\Data", assuming that individual lotus data is stored in "W:\Lotus\Notes\Data"

Hope this helps.

One recommendation I've heard that works well for us is to call the nlnotes.exe instead of the notes.exe

the result of this is to not have the users load the notes splashscreen or debugger

give it a try...

Put the location of the notes.ini file into the path enviroment string on the server. Then delete the notes.ini from c:\lotus\notes directory (or where ever its installed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back