Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lotus notes & terminal server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

miguel1973

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
GB
Hi there,
as anyone ever tried to implement lotus notes on a win2k terminal server. I want our external employees to terminal into the server and access there mail from there. I presume each user dialling in will have there own client id associated with there open session. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Miguel

I was given some doco on this one and it is at work I will try and find it and pass it on, essentially I made a user say Notes1 and gave them admin rights to the server, I then installed it to a directory say w32apps, this is done in the install user mode, then as I each user installed their own copy I install to their own user directory which is mapped, they then each have say I:\user\username\lotus\notes\data and so on, then place their ID in the data directory after startup you can copy their names.nsf to this directory from their workstation copy and this way they will see all their personal contacts, the only hich I have is if they make a new contact in either DB they need to make it in both. I hope you can understand this one, it puts the Notes.ini into the windows directory of each users profile.
Regards

Hi DavidBW,

Thanks for the reply. I eventually found a few documents off the web which helped me. I've created my own walk through now using the best bits from the docs I found.

Thnaks again

Miguel

Miguel

I'd marked this post. Can you provide me the info.

I'm looking at reducing cost of ownership. I'm examining the possibilities of implementing Domino on a Terminal Server with thin clients.

Arun "Whereever you go there are people who need you for what you can do..."

Hi Sarun,

I only wrote the doc yesterday, let me know if theres anything you don't understand. The doc for people at my work, so you may have to subsitute various drives/folders for whats ever practical for yourself. Like I said let me know if you get stuck

Installing Lotus Notes 4.6.x on a Terminal Server

· Log on to the server as administrator and ensure no users are currently
accessing the server.
· Right click on my computer and select manage.
· Click on local users and groups > users
· Click action > new user, and add the users that will be logging into the Terminal Server and then close this box.
· In Control Panel, double-click the add/remove programs icon.
· Click add new programs.
· Click CD or floppy.
· Click next.
· Browse to E: on the fileserver and run Lotus Notes install program install.exe from notes install > client
· Click next to continue on the first Notes install screen.
· Click yes to accept the Notes licensing agreement.
· Enter the company name in the appropriate fields. Do not enter a user’s name
in either field as data entered here will be seen by all users.
· Check the box install on a file server
· Check the box file server install
· Enter the destination folder as E:\notes.
· Notes installation will now copy files to the hard drive.
· Click finish when completed.
· Create a folder on E: called users. Share the folder using
the same name.
· In the users folder create your users home folders and share these out using the same names. Add or remove permissions to the users home folders if required.
· Connect the users home letter to this share. Enter the command:
net use h: \\termserver\users
· Also in the users folder create a folder called master copy
· In control panel, double-click the add/remove programs icon.
· Click add new programs.
· Click CD or floppy.
· Click next.
· Browse to E:\notes and run install.exe
· Click next to continue on the first Notes install screen.
· Click yes to accept licensing of Notes.
· Click next to accept the existing Company name field.
· Change the destination folder to H:\notes and click next, where H: is the letter of all users home drive.
· Click finish when completed. Do not launch notes now.
· After the program has been installed, click finish on the add/remove
programs window.
· Using windows explorer, cut and paste C:\winnt\notes.ini to the folder H:\notes.

· Create a common desktop icon for all users to run notes:
a. From the windows explorer menu, scroll into C:\documents and settings\all users\desktop and select file > new > shortcut.
b. Enter E:\notes\notes.exe in the location field and click next.
c. Enter Lotus Notes in the name field and click finish.
· Still in windows explorer, right-click on the newly created Lotus Notes
shortcut.
· Select properties and then select the shortcut tab.
· Set the start in: field to H:\Notes.
· The notes folder in E:\users is usually 38mb, this can be decreased to about 5mb by removing certain unused folders
· Most of the files in the E:\users\notes directory may be deleted as follows.

Under the E:\users\notes\doc subdirectory, delete all the files, but leave the directory intact.

Under the E:\users\notes\modems subdirectory, delete all the .mdm files, but leave the directory intact.

Under the E:\users\notes\sample subdirectory, delete all the files, but leave the directory intact.

Under the E:\users\notes subdirectory, delete the following files:

alog4.ntf, busytime.ntf, cca461.ntf, charsets.ncf, cinstnod.ini, clusta4.ntf, csrv461.ntf, dba4.ntf, dblib4.ntf, discsw46.ntf, doclbw46.ntf, doclib14.ntf, doclib4.ntf, doclibm46.ntf, framew46.ntf, helpt4.nsf, httpd.cnf, log.ntf, loga4.ntf, mailw46.ntf, mail46.ntf, notesw32.reg, notnode.inf, pagesw46.ntf, qstart.nsf, and webadmin.ntf

· Browse to E:\users and copy the notes folder to each users home folder.
· In E:\users move the notes folder to the folder called master copy. In future when any new users need to be configured simply copy the notes folder in the master copy folder to the users home folder and proceed from here.
· Log off as administrator and log back in as one of the users
· Map H: to your home folder: net use h: \\termserver\yourname
· copy your notes ID to the notes folder in your home folder
· Run Lotus Notes from your desktop icon and begin the setup
· On the first screen accept the defaults but select your notes id has been supplied to you, click OK
· Browse to the notes folder in your home folder and select your ID file, click open
· Enter password
· fill in the home server field and accept the other defaults
· fill in the notes server name and IP

Thanks Miguel,

"Whereever you go there are people who need you for what you can do..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back