Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lotus macros start upon launching app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowdyguy

Technical User
Jun 4, 2003
US
I'm trying to open a Lotus 123 worksheet and as soon as I launch Lotus it immediately starts to run a macro which tried to gneerate a report and it causes Lotus to crash and close.

I've tried CTRL+BREAK and Esc, but neither seem to stop the macro.

How can I stop the macro before it even starts?

Thanks...Rowdyguy

Hi RowdyGuy,

From the menu, try using: Tools - User Setup, and then de-activating "Run autoexecue macros". Then open the file.

This applies to 123, Release 5. If your version is different, hopefully the menu will be similar enough that you can still find this setting.

Hope this helps. :) Please advise as to how you make out.

Regards, ...Dale Watson

Dale,
I can't even open Lotus without the macro starting... As soon as I launch the appliation it srarts... I can't get to the menu.

Argh!!

...Rowdyguy

RowdyGuy,

It might help to know which version of Lotus you're using.

With 123 Release 5, it's possible to have 123 open a file "together" with 123 - by placing the path/filename after the 123W.exe file.

If there is such a file "attached" to your 123W.exe icon (or to the filename itself), you can remove it. If attached to an icon, simply right-click on the icon, and choose "Properties".

In the "Properties" window, opposite "Target", you'll see the "123.EXE" file, preceded with a path - possibly "PROGRAMS".

After "123.EXE", if there is a path/filename, then remove the path/filename.

Then click on "Apply", and then "OK".

This will then result in you being able to load 123 WITHOUT 123 opening that file.

If this was the case - that there was a filename "attached", this is what used to be referred to as a "command-line parameter". Such a file would of course exist on your PC - or perhaps on your network if you're attached to a network. The path specified will of course tell you exactly where the file is, so you'll be able to delete the file if you want.

AFTER you have removed the file as a command-line parameter, you should then be able to get to the menu. You can then do as I suggested earlier - de-activate "Run autoexecue macros". You should then be able to open the same file - and NOT have the macro run automatically. This will then enable you to examine the file - and the macro(s) - if you prefer.

The file is one that will likely have an "autoexecute" macro. In Release 5, creating such a macro is done by assigning a special range name - of "\0" to the first cell containing macro code. The "0" is not the letter "O", but the number "0".

I hope this proves to be the scenario you're facing. :)

Please advise as to how you make out.

Regards, ...Dale Watson

In 123R9x it's round about the same. In addition R9 starts automatic all files which are stored in a auto-directory. So delete/move all files you have in this directory. By standard it is ...\123\auto.

HTH, Reinhard

I'm running Lotus 123 r97 for Windows 95. It's an old inherited arcane system which is due to be upgraded but in the mean time I have to deal with it until I design a better system.

Thanks...RowdyGuy

Here's what was in the "Properties" Target field: C:\lotus\123\123w.exe \L EN

I removed the "\L EN" and it didn't change anything... the macro still runs as soon as I start the program.

I looked in C:\lotus\123\auto and it is empty. There are no files in this directory. I've selected the option to show hidden files so I know there's nothing there.

I still can't get to my files without that stupid macro running. What's really weird is I can't seem to make it stop by pressing Ctrl+Break either...

Argh!!!

Any other ideas?
...RowdyGuy!

Okay, let's try the hard way: RegEdit.

Start Regedit.
Navigate to:
HKCU\Sofware\Lotus\123\99.0\UserPreferences

Then in the right window go to:
EnableAutoExecMacro

From the main menue choose:
EDIT -> change

In the upcoming Dialog select:
Value = 0
and press OK.

This enables auto running macros and scripts.

HTH, Reinhard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back