Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lotus 123 r5 with Macros and PCL codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbertoli

MIS
Dec 21, 2011
US
I have Lotus 123r5 or SmartSuite 9.7. I have a macro with the following command.

{set "printer-setup-bins"; "Tray 2"}
a few other commands like EDIT-GOTO etc and then another
{set "printer-setup-bins"; "Tray 3"}

We have a new printer that doesn't understand the Tray 2/Tray 3 command. I have been told to use PCL commands. I am not sure if I am getting the right command.

Instead of "Tray 3" I have tried "/027&l5H". In the documents I have been given from HP, /027 is the escape code for Lotus and "5" is for tray 3. (HP Printer)

We need this spreadsheet to be able to switch between trays so it will print part on letterhead.

Any help/insight?

First thing is to set the printer you are needing as your default printer using windows. Then use the following to get the proper commands:

@info("printer-setup-name")
@info("printer-setup-bins")
@info("printer-setup-papersize")

This should get you enough information to use the printer correctly. I found that different printers use different bin or paper names.

Good Luck

danswindow ... sounds great but I need a little more info. Where do I do the @info(xxx commands) ? Do I do it in the macro?

I am not a Lotus user but I can follow instructions great.

You can just run this from a blank spreadsheet. Make sure to set the printer you will be using as the default printer. Also make sure it is not set for auto select of paper trays. Then on the blank lotus spreadsheet try the formula's I suggested. Once you see the results you can enter the correct information in your macros.

{set "printer-setup-bins"; "Tray 2"} could become
{set "printer-setup-bins"; "Bin 2"} or something else.

Make sure to change your default printer setting back to what they used to be.

Ok, I have been able to do the @info. Whatever I set for the default paper source on the printer is what displays. I don't see any PCL 5 or PCL 6 codes. The only time I can get my printout to go to Tray 3 is if I set the default paper source there. I have tried many different PCL 5/6 codes and nothing works.

I am wondering if it's a driver or different printer setup issue.

You should be able to just use the {set "printer-setup-name";"tray ??"} from within a lotus macro to change the printers, bins and paper types. I do not see why you want to use the PCL codes. That's old stuff from before version 5.0.

Check out the lotus site and post your question there. There are some really knowledgeable people there. The site is located at:

I have posted there and have not gotten any response yet. The current macro uses Tray x. We are beginning to think there has to be a setting on the printer.

We do know that with the old printer, if we used any newer driver, it wouldn't switch between the trays.

Ok this is all resolved now. I did not need to change anything in Louts. I used the old printer driver and changed the setting on Manage Trays, the Use Requested Tray to be “first”.

Through this process I have learned a lot about Lotus and macros.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back