Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lotus 123 formula question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjonesal

Programmer
May 10, 2001
US
I’ve got a Lotus worksheet that has this formulas in one of the cells:

1/@FV(1,C14,C15)

I’m trying to understand how Lotus interprets this…. I would have expected to see the @ symbol as the first character in the cell to denote that a formula was being used. If anyone can point me to a reference or help with this, I would appreciate it.

Jan

The yhe formula is 1 divided by @FV(1,C14,C15). The following is from version 5.0's help section on formulas.

@FV(payments;interest;term) calculates the future value of an investment, based on a series of equal payments, earning a periodic interest rate, over the number of payment periods in term.

I hope this helps some.

I aggree with you that the "1" should not be in front of the @ sign, but can't explain why it is. I have an old book that explains the @FV formula this way:
@FV(payment, interest, term)

The @FV function calculates the future value of a series of equal payments, where "interest" is the interest compounded each period and "term" is the total number of payments.. For example, if you plan to deposit $10,000 a year for 10 years into an account that earns 12% simple interest per year, you can use the function:
@FV(10000,.12,10) to determine what your account will be worth at the end of that period. The account will be worth $175,487 at the end of 10 years.
The @FV function uses the following formula to calculate future value:payment*(((1+interest)^term)-1)/interest.
This calculation assumes that you make each payment on the last day of each period.
The @FV Function in 1-2-3 release 2 evaluates to ERR whenever the term argument is less than 1. The problem is corrected in later releases.

Hope it helps some....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back