Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lotus 1-2-3 V5 Color Pallette Drop Down Box Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewtheactuary

Technical User
Feb 24, 2015
Lotus 1-2-3 V 5 Color Pallette resolution Windows XP

Drop down box not working in Lotus 1-2-3.

Soloution: This is an XP rather than Lotus issue. Right click on XP desktop. Select properties. Go to appearances tab. Select effects. Uncheck first box "Use the following transition effect."

That's it!!!

Thanks for the reminder of how it works in XP.

I had to switch to Windows 7, and found that while Lotus 1-2-3 version 5 works in Windows 7 (32 bit), I was getting the same issue with the drop down selection for lines and color. The palette wouldn't show up.

The solution was buried in Control Panel - System - Advanced System Settings - Advanced - Settings - Slide open combo boxes (uncheck).

There is a list of 18 enhancement settings. I had turned them all off by selecting "Adjust for best performance". But by trial and error, found the the one setting that was the culprit was "Slide open combo boxes". So it is similar to the issue with XP. Apparently the other enhancements won't conflict with Lotus version 5.

Bill

I am unable to get Lotus 1-2-3 V5 to operate in a 64-bit Windows environment. Am I correct it cannot be done or is there a way?

I have had no trouble getting Lotus Smartsuite and all programs to run in Win. 7 Professional. I did nothing special to install them except I launched Setup.EXE rather than autoruns. I made no adjustments. I DID go to to find out how to get help files, but have long forgotten what I did.

I think these Lotus products STILL massively outshine most others: Wordpro beats Word. Approach beats Access. As to 1-2-3, I don't use it that much.

Naro, I suspect you have no problem because unlike me you have arisen from the dark ages. I'm using Lotus Version 5 which operated on Windows 3.1 !!! No doubt later versions of Lotus 1-2-3 will operate in 32-bit environment. I believe Version 5 was a 16-bit system. Windows Pro (I believe) can operate 32-bit systems.

Actually, my problem is more extensive. I operate Paradox (Dos) and Multi-Mate word processor. When these were designed, Ronald Reagan was President.

Andrew,

Yep, you cannot run Lotus 1-2-3 version 5 in 64-bit windows. I tried, and another Lotus 5 fan acquaintance also tried.

I had purchased a cheap, underpowered netbook, which came with Win 7 64-bit installed. It would not allow Lotus 5 to work. So I grabbed a Win 7 disk, which had both 32 and 64-bit versions, and re-installed windows, using the 32 bit version. Lotus 5 installed and runs fine. No compatibility setting required. I just had to do the Y2K patch, and the long-year tweak, and it works just fine. And since Lotus 5 works fast, by comparison to just about everything else, it is OK to use on that underpowered netbook.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back