Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lots of users.. I mean LOTS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rewebb

Technical User
Dec 12, 2001
GB
I routinely monitor our web servers and on a Sunday night would expect the intranet server only to have a handful of users. Imagine my surprise when PerfMon reports that tonight we have a LOT more users than that... 4,294,967,295 to be exact. Yes, that's over 4 billion users. Now I know it's a good intanet, but hell it's not THAT popular!

So, can anyone suggest what's scramling PerfMon's brains???

Rob W

Did you check your web site logs? The one getting all the attention will likely stand out among the others.

Galrahn

iF you are trying to mean Hits to your site by the word users, then what it shows is just someone trying to make a Denial of Service on your Server by flooding it with requests, but so many that could lead it to a crash. So be aware of that. A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

I checked the log files and they no larger than normal. Activity for 4+ Billion users would ahve filled the disk drive up anyway...

RW

then either or the logs, or the hits are not reflecting the 4 Billions. THis site is more popular than A+, MCP, CCNA
marbinpr@hotmail.com

Keep fighting for your knowledge!

Are you sure your logs are set to grow as large as possible?

Most are set to overwrite themselves if they get larger than x mb.

That way you do not have a denial of service attack based on flooding the log (and I have seen people set it this way and have their sites go down from an attack)

David McIntosh

Have a nice day!

Yes, I have the log files configured correctly - daily logs are usually approx 100Mb. As this was a Sunday the log file was only 2 or 3 Mb. I don't for one minute beleive we actually had that many users (!) I think it was PerfMon getting itself confused, but I was interested to know if anyone had seen something similar or if you knew what muight have caused it.

Rob W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back