Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lots of stuff 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milk

Technical User
Jun 12, 2001
US
There's a couple different Alpha things I want to do with flash but I don't know how (or maybe it can't do it but I doubt that). 1st I want to know, is there's any way of making an Alpha Gradient where I can blend a color into 0% alpha? I made a generic one of these to blend in text from top to bottom, but it's far from top quality (made with 1 graphic that I put side by side many times while changing the alpha on it gradually from 0% to 100%). But is there a simpler way that's built into flash?

Another question I have, is there any way to have a button inside an MC that you can use to take you to frames in the normal movie instead of frames inside the MC? I want the MC's for my pages to unviel buttons that work for the normal movie but I'm getting shafted.

Yet another thing I want to do is a user login for members. And also where certain people, after they login, can post news on the front or members pages (pretty ambitious considering my other questions huh?).

And last thing... when I make pics with Photoshop is there any way to give them a transparent background?

Thanks,
Jeremy

first off i'm having the same problem as you with the MC buttons affecting main movie changes. it has something to do with the different levels of the movie, _root, or tell target but i cant figure out what. (see thread started by me)

for alpha fade just do a motion tween and then select the end keyframe and in the instance toolbox choose effect, alpha, and 0%.

I don't have time to go into dynamic text boxes and actionscripting for it, and theres enough options for what you want to do to justify buying a book. I like the quickstart guides.

for photoshop transparency take the background that you want to be transparent and "layer via cut", then move that layer to the bottom of the stack. then change opacity for that layer to 0 (select the layer and change opacity in the layer toolbox) make sure to check the preserve transparency box. you have to save as gif or png (as far as i know they are the only files that support transparency, can anyone enlighten me?).
good luck,
M.austin

Milk,

1- Yes, you can create a gradient with different alpha settings from one end to the other! Use the Mixer panel... That's why the alpha box is there!

2- See my post in thread250-100393, about your buttons.

3- Have a look at these... If this link will work for you:
4- Quickblueink is right about exporting as gif or png.

;-) If you're stuck with lemons... Make lemonade!

Jealous is right on about the gradient transparency solution. Inside the color mixer, just create the gradient you want, choose the color you want transparent, and adjust the alpha slider on the right.

Just wanted to add on the Photoshop transparency, be careful about what backround color you choose, or else you get a hazy white ring around your image due to antialiasing. (if your background is white, that's not a problem). But if you where that image is going to be, pick a BG color that comes close, so that when it does crop for antialiasing, the color it blends to will mesh with the BG you intend to use it on. Go to file > save for web and choose .gif, and click transparency on.

Hope that works for you

Boomph

Wow! Slap me silly and call me susan, I feel like kicking myself in the butt for asking the alpha question now that I see the alpha thing at the bottom of the mixer. And I'll see if I can find an idiots guide to dynamic text somewhere so I can do my login. I have a passworded section by the way, just using a password and not user names though, only the password. And I'll try that with the pics, I've been using jpegs to this point. Hopefully I won't have to deal with the white ring your talking about since my background is a dark grey.

Thanks for the help,
Jeremy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back