Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lots of spyware/virus problems. Online scanner 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kitsunemeio

Vendor
Sep 25, 2005
US
Okay, here's what's going on. I am repairing someones computer and am having the time of my life. I did a scan and he has over 150 spyware. However, I cannot remove it and he refuses to lose any info. I want to pop the harddrive into one of my linux machines but the I can't get to the screw to get it out. Another problem is trojans/viruses. Too many to count. I don't know what this person was doing, but it sure doesn't look like anything I would. All I need to know is if an online scanner would be of any assistance.

I would load Adaware, MS antispyware, and Spybot on the machine and do their thing. Each will probably catch things that the others may not. It also sounds like you should pick up a fresh copy of Symantec Antivirus and load it on the PC and see what it can find. If this PC is running XP, I would make sure you get SP2 loaded once you have it cleaned up. I worked on someone's PC 6 months ago that had over 120 viruses on it. Their McAffee Software had failed. They had pictures on the PC of their daughter that had recently passed away. It would have easier to re-format and re-load, but I spend 14 hours cleaning the machine to save their content.

GOOD LUCK!

Dan

remember to boot into safe mode, disable Restore Points (XP or ME), run you scanners then reboot into safe mode again & re-check everything before doing a regular boot.

another option to running it on your Linux machine would be to boot with a Knoppix CD and recover whatever data is needed then do a fresh recovery/re-load of the machine.

You might want to post this in:

forum760

Good luck!

X

Once you have used Adaware, Spybot, Antispyware, Hijackthis, etc... then I would recommend using KillBox to remove any other files that cannot be removed. Killbox is basically just a very advanced deletion tool, it can delete upon reboot and it can also replace files with dummy files when necessary.

PS

Beware of Hijackthis, it is very useful and very easy to screw things up with it.

If I know one is really ate up, I like to take the hard drive out, slave it to my pc which runs Mcafees and run a scan on it. If you can't get the hard drive out, that is out of the question. You have to run a virus scan first. You might try going to Mcafee's website and downloading the stinger tool. Its basic, but it might get you started. You really need to get enough off so that you can get an antivirus program (with all updates) on and run a full scan. Once you do that, download Adaware (with full updates) and run in in regular and safe modes until it does not find anything. Once you are confident all viruses and spyware have been removed, go into MSCONFIG and turn off everything that is not necessary. Good luck. Some of those can be a real challenge.

Shannan

If you're still after an online scanner, I've found both BitDefender and TrendMicro of use in the past. I tend to use them more as a last sanity check rather than for removal.

HTH

TazUk

[pc] Blue-screening PCs since 1998

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back