Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lots of columns - How do you create multiple page reports?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hjmoffitt

Programmer
Oct 23, 2000
US
I am creating an income statement by location for the company that has approximately 10 columns across the top of the report. How do I get all these columns on the report without reducing the font to noseeum font. Currently I'm using a font of Arial 9. I have 6 columns across the top but need to add 4 more and I can't figure out how to do it wihtout reducing the font!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Holly

You can change the paper orientation from portrait to landscape, so the page becomes 11" wide instead of 8.5". If you still need more room, you can print on legal paper, which is 14" wide in landscape mode.
After that (if you still need more room), the solutions get more complicated, so let us know if this helps. Malcolm
wynden@telus.net
November is "be kind to dogs and programmers" month. Or is that "dogs or programmers"?

I do have the paper orientation to landscape and it needs to be printed on 11" x 8.5". So I guess I need the more complicated approach!

Holly

Holly,
It really isn't that much more complicated. I assume you know that text columns can print on multiple lines, etc.
1) Export a sample of the data to a spreadsheet, or just type in some sample data for a company.
2) Format the ~10 columns on the spreadsheet to the size that is acceptable to the end user.
They have to decide what the maximum paper size is, the number of columns, the width of those columns, the font size, etc.
This is not magical, nor does it have anything to do with SCR. The only reason to use a spreadsheet is that it is something most people are familiar with, and they can do their own adjusting of column sizes quite easily.
When they have got the format right (printed at 100% of screen size, don't let them trick you by "printing to fit paper") then you can duplicate this in SCR.
This sounds dumb, but I have developed this strategy in response to people asking for too much on a report - now, they show me the layout (that they can do easily), and I duplicate it for them.
Malcolm
wynden@telus.net
November is "be kind to dogs and programmers" month. Or is that "dogs or programmers"?

Malcolm,

What is SCR? I understand what you are trying to do and I really like the idea of the user "designing" the layout of the report but I lost you after you said "When they have got the format right then you can duplicate in SCR".

Either I haven't had enough caffeine or it was a long weekend. Better yet, a combination of both! :)

Thanks again for all your help!

Holly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back