Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

LOST WORKSHEETS in a shared EXCEL WORKBOOK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 11, 2003
GB
We have had several instances of the following and any help aprreciated.

The workbooks are stored on a networked drive. These workbooks are shared between a team. Users have various versions of Excel.

Occassionally, I get calls saying that worksheets within the workbook have gone. This is not users deleting the worksheets. These are experienced excel users with quite complicated spreadsheets.

This has happened to several files and sometimes repeats on an individual workbook.

Any ideas?

Are you saying that these workbooks are being accessed in Shared mode, and that the editing is being done simultaneously in different versions of Excel?

Cheers, Glenn.

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

Yes - this could happen. Team members could be in the spreadsheet simultaneously. Sharing is setup on the workbook. And yes, they might have different versions of excel.

Shared workbooks are notoriously unstable, and I would never recommend their use. But if you are stuck with them I would suggest that you align the Excel versions of your users, and make sure that the workbooks are saved in that version of Excel ( rather than saving as a previous version for compatibility reasons ).

Good luck.

Cheers, Glenn.

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back