Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost winxp pro cd, how to reinstall windows on a laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizugori

Programmer
May 21, 2007
US
I have a laptop with windows xp pro on it, it is an acer not a dell, so sadly the product key is not stamped onto it. Is there some kind of tool that can pull the product key from an installation of windows? If so, can I use that to get the key that was installed on the laptop, use one of the thousands of dell windows xp pro cds that i have lying around to reinstall windows, and then put in the key that i pull off the laptop before wiping it? If this is not okay, is there another way?? original disc is MIA, and the laptop is not under warranty

thanks!

You can conceivably run Belarc Advisor, and it will get the Key used for you. Now the problem will come with the Dell CD's

Sometimes OEM CD's are usually manufacturer specific, so your Acer key may not work with a dell CD.

You might need to get a hold of some Acer CD's some way and try it.

This of course assumes Acer uses OEM Cd's it may just use a full Install CD, in which case any Retail installation CD may well work with the key.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

call Acer and ask them for a replacement CD using your serial#

if you need to give them the product key, it can be found by using Belarc Analyzer

as for using "one of the thousands of dell windows xp pro cds that i have lying around" i would not recommend it. your restore cd will have all of your hard/software devices and drivers on it - the Dell wont.

Does the model of laptop have a recovery partition rather than any CD? If it does, you usually see some mention of it on the first boot screen such as press F something to enter recovery etc.

Maybe it is time to spend a few dollars and obtain the correct recovery media from the manufacturer?

See the paragraph "Replacement OEM or system builder software media"

326246 - How to Replace Lost, Broken, or Missing Microsoft Software or Hardware

it is partitioned weird, but i'd rather use the whole hard drive than restore it from a partition if that is the case. thanks a lot i did email acer and ask about a disc.

Acer's recovery partition is on D: drive. On an Acer you usually hit F2 to enter Setup. Also, definitely do not try to use a Dell CD on an Acer. Acer has all the eManagement software that you will need to reinstall.

Cheers.

Acer laptops DO usually have a COA sticker with the key on...

The key currently in place - which you can retrieve as has been mentioned - is useless. It won't activate (you'll find the same key on lots of Acer laptops..)

On Acers, you can start the restore process by hitting shift+F10 (possibly alt+F10 - my brain isn't what it was) keys when it starts booting.

On any existing (and functioning) systems, you can run a small application and extract the product CD keys:
Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder 2.0.1

After you extract them, these keys can be used with any XP-PRO-SP2 that you can download from Internet and burn a bootable CD...

...these keys can be used with any XP-PRO-SP2 that you can download from Internet...

I'm not sure I would recommend downloading any version of Windows from the internet even if you own a valid key. You never know what you're getting and it's not exactly legal. Furthermore, you cannot use an OEM key with a retail CD and vice versa.

However, I do second the idea of using the Jelly Bean Keyfinder tool as an alternative to Belarc Advisor. I don't believe it requires any installation and has a smaller footprint.

The key currently in place...is useless. It won't activate (you'll find the same key on lots of Acer laptops..)

wolluf-
I didn't realize that. I haven't worked with many Acers, but that's good to keep in mind. On many HP and Dell laptops (particularly ones that are less than 4-5 years old), the OEM install CD doesn't even prompt you to enter a key. The CD checks a signature in the BIOS to allow the install. Perhaps the Acer you came across used a similar method.

~cdogg
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Einstein
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back