Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

lost (windows\system\ntss.exe) from virus. what can i do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
got a trojan back door virus. norton told me to delete my ( c:\windows\system\ntss.exe ) so i did. it got rid of the virus. but now i do not know what else i lost.
please tell me what to do.
thank you
dejay11@juno.com

just reinstall the os over top of the exisiting installation. when the setup program asks where to install just point right back at the c:\windows directory (assuming that is where it is installed) and it should copy anything you might be missing. this is basically a non-destructive install.

Or you could run system file checker and hopefully the programme will detect the file's loss and ask for the Win98 CD to re-install that one file.

Phil

Or just find the ntss.exe on your install cd if its able to be extracted from a cab file and place it in the directory you deleted it from.

ntss.exe is NOT a windows file so reinstalling windows won't put it back. It was probably the trojan so don't worry about it. Or are you getting some error involving ntss.exe??? If so what's the error say and what trojan was it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back