Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost Windows Installer Service HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwunz

Programmer
Dec 17, 2001
US
I tried installing MSDN Library (April 2002) and it attempted to upgrade Windows Installer and IE. IE6 was successfully installed, but the Windows Installer service no longer works...MS Office, and several other applications cannot find it and fail to execute. The message I get is:

"The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. Contact your support personnel to verify that the Windows Installer service is properly registered."

Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance,
don:-(

SYMPTOMS
========

When you run the Office Setup program, or in Control Panel click Add/Remove for
Microsoft Office 2000, the following error message appears:

The Windows Installer service could not be accessed. Contact your support
personnel to verify that the windows Installer service is properly
registered.

CAUSE
=====

This error will appear when both of the following are true:

- You are logged into a Microsoft Windows Terminal Server from a Windows
Terminal Server client as a non-administrator user.

-and-

- You try to run Setup for Office.

WORKAROUND
==========

If you want to run setup for Office, follow these steps:

1. Log in to the Windows Terminal Server console (not from a client) as a member
of the Administrators group.

2. Click Start, point to Settings, and click Control Panel.

3. In Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs.

4. Double-click <Microsoft Office 2000 product> in the Add/Remove Programs
list.

where <Microsoft Office 2000 product> is the installed version of Office.
If you do not have administrative permissions on the computer running Windows
Terminal Server, see your System Admininstrator.
Does that help?

Office and other software have already been installed and have been working...attempting to install MSDN Apr 2002 has corrupted something, apparently. I am not working through TS, I'm on the PC's keyboard, and am a member of the Administrators Group on this PC (and a member of the Domain Administrators Group in the domain).

If you try to upgrade 2K, Microsoft scans your system. If you either have not registered something, or if you have changed your PC name, login name, etc., since doing so, apparently Microsoft sees this as a license violation. I was running MS Office on a dual-boot machine (same PC; 2 OS's), and apparently Microsoft found something wrong with this, so when attempting to install Service Pack 3, Microsoft uninstalled or disabled MS Office and either deleted or disabled Windows Installer. I attempted to fix Installer through Services, no dice. First I attempted to logon using &quot;Last Known Good Config&quot;, no dice. I attempted to use the command prompt next to try scanreg /restore (don't know if 2K will allow it), and found my command prompt had been disabled as well. They did a very thorough job. I also attempted to reinstall Installer; no dice.

I know this problem. The solution is the following:
1.find on MS Site file named msicuu.exe
2.find on MS Site file named eraser2k.exe
3.log on as Admin on your w2k
4.try to uninstall off2k.
5. (does not depend on step 4.) run eraser2k.exe
6. reboot PC
7. run msicuu.exe
8.reboot PC
9. install a MSI . (INSTMSIW.EXE - file name on MS Site)
10. install Off2k.

hope it will help you.

Victor K
psas@canada.com
MCSE+I;MCSA;MCSE(w2k);CNE(5.1);MCNE(6);CIWSP;CIWSA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back