Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost Sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

jediwarrior

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2004
US
Hi all,
I am having problems with my sound. it seems that I have no sound. I have a Dell Dimension E310 computer, and I have an Audio codec for sound Gaming and Video, I also have Legacy Audio Driver and Media control devices. It says that all the devices are working properly. Any ideas what it could be? and where will I find the correct drivers to install what i already have? I've tried Dell, but I get confused as to which of the 1000 drivers they have out there that i can download. My sound device is built onthe the motherboard.
Please help,

Jediwarrior

Dell referes to the serial number as "Service Tag" number.

Somewhere on your PC case, (likely the back) is a 6 to 8 digit number - it will also likely have letters in it.

Write this down and do a driver search on the Dell support site.

However, I must tell you that most times I troubleshoot "no sound" issues is either because the speakers are connected to the wrong port on the computer or the volume is set all the way down or to mute - you may want to give those a look over first...also make sure that sound playback default device is set to "integrated audio

Hi Jediwarrior

I know this sounds stupid but I lost mine as well only to find after an hours frustration that my neice had turned speaker volume to zero!!! - - Worth a check I guess.

Mel in the UK

kestrel1, i went to that site and tried to download the audio drivers, but I got an error that said they were not compatible with my system.

I'm also getting and error that says: "There is no audio output devices currently installed on your machine." What are my audio output devices? Are they my speakers? I do have them installed and into the correct slot on the sound device.

I'm lost. Also how can I get to the area where I can check to see if the audio is on mute? I can't seem to find it anywhere. there is nothing in the tray at all, and i'm not sure where else to look.
thanks,
Jediwarrior

Your audio output device is your sound card/on-board sound chipset. If you don't have anything in the tray ie. volume control, this normally indicates a lack of sound device, until the drivers are installed.
If you right click on My Computer & go to properties, you will get the system properties up. Go to the hardware tab & then device manager. See if you have anything in device manager about sound devices. You may find a device with an orange exclamation mark next to it, this could be the sound device, but it is indicating that it is not installed correctly. If this is the case, select it & delete it. Then reboot your system & you should get the new hardware found message. If the file that you downloaded earlier unpacked itself to a folder you need to point the hardware wizard to it. Don't select Automatically install software, as you want to be able to tell the wizard where to look. You should be able to browse to this folder & see if it will load the drivers.

Hi again,
I went into the device manager and there was no exclamation mark or question mark next to the sound devices. When I went into the sound it said that everything was working ok.
I also tried to delete the sound devices, but there was no way to do it. I did a right click on all the sound devices in there but no delete was in the option. I tried to highlight each of them and press the delete key, but nothing happened. What else can i do here.

Thanks,
Jediwarrior

You should get the option to delete or un-install the device.
You could always try to update the drive from within device manager.

Also check your BIOS settings, and see if the AC97 CODEC is set to ENABLED or AUTO, if it is set to DISABLED then Windows will not see it and can not install a driver for it...

good luck...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back