Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Lost Shares on XP Client....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajb2528

Technical User
Feb 22, 2002
GB
Hi All!!!,

My problem is as follows....

We have a Windows 2000 Advanced Server which is configured as the DC (Active Directory/DNS etc)...

What appears to be happening with one of the XP clients is that it is losing its mapped drive connections. This happens after an indeterminate amount of time. When the client logs off/on all of the mapped drives are reconnected and the user can access them.

Has anyone any ideas as to why this would happen??

Regards,

Alan

Not sure but I would suspect a GPO policy. Do you have any inforced that log off a user after a certain time or even idle time? You might run the GPO policy result program that comes with XP. If your not sure how to access it. Open MMC by going to Start>Run>"MMC">"Ok"> then console at top> add/remove snap-in> find GPO policy result snap in>Add>Close.

If you could give more info on time frame. Is it a set time they disconnect every 15 Min. or is it random?

Microsoft had a similar issue with NT where the Lanman service would autodisconnect too frequently. Try modifying this key in the reg:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\Autodisconnect
...change to value to something closer to 480 (value is number of minutes = 8 hr).
The related MS page is here: Good luck!

kameleon80,

What exactly am I looking for within the Group Policy object??

drewbious,

Is this setting on the client or the server???

Thanks both, for getting back to me.

Regards,

Alan

This setting is located on both machines.

Microsoft is vague (at best) as to which system should receive the registry changes.

I would start the procedure on the server (always backup your registry before editing!)& test the effect.

Then apply the "fix" to the client machine.

--Let me know of your success! (I've had/heard varied results --but,it NEVER got worse!!)

drewbious,

I have applied the changes on both server and clients but we are still losing shares - but not as frequently. Is there any other avenue that I could investigate??

Regards,

Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back